Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-08-2021, 12:53 PM

Default Re: The Hybrid Engine

? Does the Hybrid Engine have any affect / interaction with Mac-Core Audio?
(i.e. Pro Tools Ultimate in use with iTunes in use)

√ LDS thanks

Last edited by DetroitT; 06-08-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
? Does the Hybrid Engine have any affect / interaction with Mac-Core Audio?
(i.e. Pro Tools Ultimate in use with iTunes in use)

I doubt it will change much from its current state, with Pro Tools using it exclusively. Carbon is a different kettle of fish in that it uses native AVB drivers already found in OSX.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:39 AM

Hey Kyle,

Thanks for the info.

Further, can you give us any insight into why the new Hybrid mode can't run the traditional combination of Native and DSP plugins on a track (when not in Input or DSP Low Latency mode of course)?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 06-09-2021, 09:21 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Hey Kyle,

Thanks for the info.

Further, can you give us any insight into why the new Hybrid mode can't run the traditional combination of Native and DSP plugins on a track (when not in Input or DSP Low Latency mode of course)?

Thanks.

Steve
Hey Steve,

The philosophy behind the Hybrid Engine design is that you leverage host processing by default, then have on-demand low latency monitoring via DSP Mode. And, that it's incredibly simple to use. If the combination of active Native and DSP plugins is allowed, you are guaranteed to not have a low latency monitoring on that track. For mixing workflows where you don't care about low latency monitoring, the combination of Native and DSP plugins is also problematic because it forces the audio to round trip between the DSP and host. This increases system latency which means control surfaces feel less responsive because your fader/knob moves are latent. It also eats into the hardware-based voice count because audio paths are needed for these roundtrips. Both of these are problems with HDX Classic and result in bottlenecks in performance and hard limits on session size. By splitting Native and DSP performance these issues are eradicated and complexity is significantly reduced. That said, if you wish to leverage DSP for mixing you can still do that by routing to tracks in DSP Mode. For example, bussing drum tracks in Native Mode to an Aux Input track in DSP Mode running DSP plugins. It's definitely a paradigm shift in how to think about DSP and mixing compared to HDX Classic. But, our betas have been absolutely loving it and we're looking forward to all HDX users getting their hands on it very soon.
Berkeley, CA
Old 06-09-2021, 02:18 PM

The one thing that hasn't been made clear is, is it possible to use the Hybrid Engine while using the Dolby Atmos Bridge. It doesn't seem so if the Hybrid Engine is your playback engine. It doesn't make sense to me that they would add this power to ProTools that basically bypasses everyone now working with the Dolby Atmos Bridge. I understand it's not out but I wish someone from Avid would clarify how this would work.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:28 PM

Hey Kyle,

Thanks very much for the detailed reply.

Congratulations on what I can only guess must have been a huge project. And yes, I can appreciate how there must always be difficult trade off decisions to be made. Simplicity versus trying to cover every possible (even niche) scenario.

From what I can tell from spending years around the forums here, I know (anecdotally) I'm not the only one who has an HDX system sat on the shelf not working for various workflow compromise reasons. Some I think are to do with voice limitations (addressed here with the alternative modes), others are centred around availability of plugs etc.

Personally my reason is a workflow issue. For my money the voice stealing methods that were built into TDM systems, were the first improvement in track laying processes since the invention of multitrack recording! A dramatic statement I know, but there's good reasons why I feel this way, and why I feel Avid has errantly killed off a major advantage they once had over everyone else in the marketplace. For your reference, here's a short thread from around the time when the news of the kill-off first surfaced, and I first discussed it with Paul V:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316448
(My comments start at post #5)

I started out my recording journey on tape, and the problems of recording multiple passes/takes of (for instance) a singer on several different tracks, presented a huge problem with monitor switching and overlapping during drop-ins etc. The assignable voices of a TDM system combined with the menu function "Mute Frees Assigned Voice" was the first and (as far as I can tell) only time a DAW implemented a solution to this age old problem, but you guys for some reason chose to abandon this major feature that no other DAW has ever offered. Here's a very quick and dirty video to show you the basics of how I use it to my advantage. There's many more great things this method can enable, but the nuts & bolts of it are all here.

https://youtu.be/O9na6N7WQD8

I still pay my full PT Ultimate subscription every year, and keep checking what's potentially coming down the pike with each software revision hoping for a return to this awesome workflow, but even though I've had a number of conversations with various of your colleagues over the past few years (Paul Vercelotti, David Cotton), I haven't made any headway with convincing the powers that be to find a way to bring this method back. There's not one person I've shown this workflow to, who hasn't immediately fallen in love with it though BTW. I'm even convinced it would solve many problems for the post production guys.

Sorry to the original thread poster/host here, and sorry If I've hijacked/ambushed you (not my intention at all), I just wanted to keep up with the thinking about improvements in the software, and to see if I can finally press my HDX system into service. If you'd prefer to carry on this conversation away from this thread, drop me a PM.

Thanks again for all yours and the other boys & girls great work over there at Avid.

Regards.

Steve Bush

Last edited by Bushpig; 06-09-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:43 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
The one thing that hasn't been made clear is, is it possible to use the Hybrid Engine while using the Dolby Atmos Bridge. It doesn't seem so if the Hybrid Engine is your playback engine. It doesn't make sense to me that they would add this power to ProTools that basically bypasses everyone now working with the Dolby Atmos Bridge. I understand it's not out but I wish someone from Avid would clarify how this would work.
No, this isn't possible because Dolby Audio Bridge is a Core Audio device. And, HDX can't be aggregated with Core Audio devices.
Berkeley, CA
Old 06-09-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post

It isn't just Avid... you can't use any other physical hardware along with the Dolby Audio Bridge.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:36 AM

So, just trying to get my head around the advantages of the Hybrid Engine.
I've watched all the videos and the live stream.

I understand the benefit of recording with HE on, to get the lowest latency, but the live stream showed having your record channels and busses Hybrid enabled when recording mixes back to a track in your session.

What is the benefit of doing it this way?
I already record 5.1 mixes back to a track in the session and I don't notice any latency issues.
What would the difference be with HE on and would all the plugins prior to that re-record track have to be DSP?
Old 06-13-2021, 12:26 AM

Hi,

There was a webinar on the Hybrid engine, and i didn't have time to connect.
Is there a way to find the video ?
Thanks