Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2021, 03:33 AM

Default 'Right to repair' movement is growing - see Apple computers

The thing you’re missing is if you don’t make your voice heard, nothing changes.

Perhaps you’re fine with a disposable throwaway society and don’t care about upgrading RAM, storage or replacing batteries but many of us, I’d wager the majority, are not.

I’m about to buy my in laws a new M1 iMac (whenever there’s damn stock of them) as they’re current iMac has a black screen. My money is the graphics card. They do not need a new M1 iMac to surf the web and do their tax. They’re current machine is perfectly cable. But, it’s not worth fixing due to the cost and scarcity of parts.

Again, disposable throwaway society is what we have become. It’s pretty bad. But hey, least our stock portfolio is doing well. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2021, 03:40 AM

Default Re: 'Right to repair' movement is growing - see Apple computers

Well not ”fine” with that but i also dont expect a 10yo Apple computer to work flawless in money making sessions we get with a computer from a year ago. Simple as that. Its like people ”need” to have a plight to wooo over for a while and when they get bored on to the next movement! Its the human way.

Might be a ”coronathing” as most have way too much free time but there has been quite a few movements that was started with good intentions and abandoned when something new popped up!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-15-2021, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Everything is getting more difficult to repair. New vehicles are ridiculously complicated now..
Tell me about it. You need to be a computer nerd rather than a shade tree mechanic.

QAPLA!
Old 07-15-2021, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Well if that is the case then why do we keep buying Apple products?
People want things that cannot be repaired, that is the only way of justifying a new one when old one breaks. I can understand it in Apple products where one of the points is getting smaller all the time. Unless you are buying Mac Pro soon enough every other model is going to be completely non-upgradeable and non-fixable.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:53 AM

Default 'Right to repair' movement is growing - see Apple computers

Quote:
Well not ”fine” with that but i also dont expect a 10yo Apple computer to work flawless in money making sessions we get with a computer from a year ago. Simple as that. Its like people ”need” to have a plight to wooo over for a while and when they get bored on to the next movement! Its the human way.

Might be a ”coronathing” as most have way too much free time but there has been quite a few movements that was started with good intentions and abandoned when something new popped up!

But you’re just thinking of your own use case. The irony is, there’s a huge percentage of people in audio still using old cheesegraters due to the trash can Mac being such a huge disappointment.

I mean, that machine is the perfect example of customers complaining and Apple actually listening and responding with a machine that did what they wanted and then some.

Yes, people like to complain, but I think you’re totally missing the point here and grossly overlooking what the core issue is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
But you’re just thinking of your own use case. The irony is, there’s a huge percentage of people in audio still using old cheesegraters due to the trash can Mac being such a huge disappointment.
I disagree. Trashcan is good and runs current software like a charm. No issues here.

Would rather take this trashcan for a max 64 i/o gig than my dedicated live rig (which is a 2009 cheesegrater w/HD3) but using that is more convenient for me as one other guy takes care of the storage and I only need to bring myself
Old 07-17-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
.... Perhaps you’re fine with a disposable throwaway society ....
Recycling tangent > batteries:

‘Lightbulb moment’: the battery technology invented in a Brisbane garage that is going global

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-going-global
Old 07-18-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:

That is the problem, though... Old Macs are still being used everywhere in studios, and for the most part the experience is exactly the same as new ones. I mean, do you think your USB3 speed is different to mine? Do you think your HDX cards work some other way than mine? Do you think Big Sur functions differently on my computer than yours?

I mixed a bunch of films in a mix theatre with 2010 Mac Pros in 2019. I did a bunch more in the same room in 2020 after they had upgraded to a 2019 Mac Pro. The experience really didn't change, other than needing to bring a USB-C to USB-A adapter...

Maybe it is your coronathing to want to replace a computer every 3 years, but I personally take issue with a 3 year old Apple not standing the test of time like their 10 year old machines.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:37 AM

Pro lineup changes very little over time. Before 2019 model the earlier model was released in 2013 and before that in 2006 when Apple transitioned from PPC to Intel. While the thrashcan model was relatively unchanged all its lifetime, the cheesegrater took 3 years to get it right.

Sure the first Mac Pro models still work (I have one as monitor mixer w/HD3) there were good advantages with 2009 model which I still use (w/HD3accel) as my main live rig. And at home I have the trashcan which I upgraded to 10-core 3.0GHz (which in my opinion works better with PT than 12-core 2.7GHz by the way).

Most important point for businesses though is that AppleCare warranty cannot be extended past three years. In three years the computer has been written off and new purchase has been scheduled well before that.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Most important point for businesses though is that AppleCare warranty cannot be extended past three years. In three years the computer has been written off and new purchase has been scheduled well before that.
ROI is what matters, not just the ability to write a purchase off within the first three years. No facility is purchasing a new 2019 Mac Pro and Avid S6 with the view of replacing it in 3 years. If anything, it was purchased with the same intention of getting a decade of use out of it like the previous dual 16-channel D-Controls and 3x Satellite linked cheesegraters provided.

I'm running a 10-core 2013 Trash can here too, but there is no denying that their original release alienated a lot of the original professional users. I replaced my 2010 cheese grater with one, partly out of frustration due to the restrictive number of PCIe slots, and partly due to already having spent a fortune on TB peripherals for a separate laptop system. Part of the reason they still work so well is that parts are user replaceable.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.