Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 12-28-2015, 03:09 PM

Default Pro Tools First or Pro Tools SE?

Hello everyone.

A few years ago (I can't remember exactly what year it was. It was probably 2011) I got Pro Tools SE for Christmas. It was great, but I didn't use it very much because I was kind of young to understand all of it. My interest for making music started to come back this year, and I decided to reinstall Pro Tools SE, but Avid seems to have stopped updating it in 2011, so now it is outdated.

Anyway, I heard about Pro Tools First and I just downloaded it, but I can't install it because Pro Tools SE is still installed. The thing is, I lost the installation disk for Pro Tools SE, so if I uninstall it, I won't be able to get it back.

So, if anyone can give me a clear comparison between First and SE so I can decide if it is worth getting rid of SE for a newer version, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First or Pro Tools SE?

Did you register your copy of SE? If you did it would be in your Avid.com account

Given that SE was a bastard product from the word go I would dump it and go with First

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-28-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Did you register your copy of SE? If you did it would be in your Avid.com account

Given that SE was a bastard product from the word go I would dump it and go with First
Thanks. I did register it so I will see if I will be able to reinstall it.

What do you mean by "bastard" product?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:04 PM

Low end/dumbed down/crippled product thrown out in some product bundles with a few video tutorials. Was meant to be simpler to use but was not. And no setup from Avid able to realistically support new users with new user problems (mostly still the case).

Unfortunately Avid continuously stubs their toes trying to do lower end products, fails, abandon the products, say they are done there but come back again with yet another try... First is that yet another try, crippled, and does not share standard Pro stools sessions, or use plugins folks already own and costs beyond three free sessions. And you can only work one session offline. Dear God they might as well have just not bothered.

I would avoid them all and get Pro Tools standard or look at any other really capable DAWS that are cheaper than Pro Tools. Studio One, Reaper, Apple Logic, etc. no shortage of great choices, I would be governed mostly by what mentors or band members etc. already use.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I would avoid them all and get Pro Tools standard or look at any other really capable DAWS that are cheaper than Pro Tools. Studio One, Reaper, Apple Logic, etc. no shortage of great choices, I would be governed mostly by what mentors or band members etc. already use.
Thanks.
The thing is, I don't want to spend any money at all on software that I might end up never using.
However, there is one DAW that I could get a free trial for. It's called FL Studio 12. The problem with that is that it seems extremely complicated and I with high school (and college for the next four years) I would never have enough time to actually learn how to use it.

But I'll still try out Pro Tools First and look for different DAWs with trials.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:39 PM

Hello , I can not activate the first pro tools on my windows 10 , I have to do ??
Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex167 View Post
Hello , I can not activate the first pro tools on my windows 10 , I have to do ??
https://my.avid.com/protoolsfirstactivation

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-28-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex167 View Post
I don't believe Pro Tools First is supported on Windows 10 yet.