Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 AM

Default Drum Machine

Any tips for getting the most out of my Boss Dr-880? I'm new to DAW but after picking up an Eleven Rack for Xmas I've been excited to get going. I finally purchased an external hard drive so I'm ready to explore Pro Tools.

When it comes to tracking with my drum machine, should I throw everything on one track or track seperately? Meaning, kick and snare on one track and cymbals etc. on another.

I have a dozen songs programmed on my 880 but I'm not sure if hitting record and pro tools and then play on my machine is the way to go. I feel like if everything is on one track I might run into trouble when it comes to mixing/mastering.

I know I may be better off using software but unfortunately I have to work with what I have now.

Also, are there any good books I should be on the lookout for to help me really understand the ins and outs of pro tools? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 AM

Lightbulb Re: Drum Machine

Hi!

1. Track seperatley.

2. Considered downloadable tutorials as an alternate option to books? Macprovideo.com and Groove3 have excellent titles.

Cheers.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Drum Machine

It's really up to your own ears and the style of music you are doing.

Sometimes the pristine audio quality of electronic instruments like the Boss is suitable straight out of the box, and does not require additional processing. A lot of the techniques you use on analog instruments like a live drum kit may not apply to drum machines. I am using Native Instruments 'Maschine' for drums and my first instinct was to grab Eq's and Compressors, and to create elaborate track seperation and I'm realizing that the Maschine sounds really good raw, the engineers at NI packed the Maschine with really good 'pre-processed' drums, and enough of them, so that you don't have to perform too much signal processing and you can get to mixing your tracks. As long as you get a good solid level into ProTools, you may find that a single stereo track of drums may be OK for your project...

again, you really have to use your own ears... I think the number one 'rule' for audio engineering is that 'there ain't no rules'

: )
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Drum Machine

Thank you for the replies, and especially for directing me to the websites...those are killer.

I suppose I'm just getting worried that my drums could sound good to me .....and then somebody who actually knows what their doing will listen and wonder whats up with my crap rhythm section, lol.