Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-06-2021, 12:25 AM

Default question about transferring a PT license

for anyone who has been through the process of transferring an PT Ultimate license to a new user:

on the "Transfer Of Ownership" form from AVID it says

"Purchase an “Avid Support Code (...) - if transferring an active Upgrade and Support Plan you can use its System ID instead".

now, I have an unused "download code" for PT Ultimate in my "products not yet downloaded" section that I wish to transfer to a new user.

1. will I have to purchase an ASC?
2. or will I have to register the software to my account first to get access to the System ID?
3. or can I just list the "download code" in the TOO form (under "Software Activation Code")?

and last question:
When submitting via case at avid.force.com/ASC (for ASCs) or my.avid.com/sso/Salesforce (for System IDs),
there is no way to add an attachment - how can I add the filled out TOO form?

thanks!
Old 09-06-2021, 08:24 AM

Default Re: question about transferring a PT license

This can be complicated stuff, and I do not have a definite answer to your question, but; I think it might not be as easy as you might hope.

I had a very similar situation recently, where I wanted to sell the license for SSL Native bundle that came with the SSL UC1 plugin controller, as I already owned a license. I asked SSL support if I could just sell the unregistered code, like you outlined in your post, and their reply was that I shouldn't. The reason was that the code would somehow still be linked to my account with them even though the buyer would be able to get the license onto his ilok account. Something along those lines.

I registered the code with them, got the license onto my iLok account and did the transfer procedure the regular way. IHTH.

(Added: Also, remember that there is a 90 days period after you registered any ilok license where you can't even get a transfer of ownership with iLok!)
Old 09-06-2021, 09:55 AM

thanks Ben,

I am sticking exactly to the procedure given by AVID and just want to check in what I have to do to get things right.

Their "transfer of ownership" form is over 4 years old and I just want to be sure I am following their directions correctly.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:51 AM

in case this is of interest to anyone, I went through the transfer process and can now answer my own questions:

1. will I have to purchase an ASC? no
2. or will I have to register the software to my account first to get access to the System ID? yes
3. or can I just list the "download code" in the TOO form (under "Software Activation Code")? yes

please note that this is for a brand new license that has not yet been activated with iLok.