Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 AM

Default Re: ProTools placing sound EARLY??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
To make sure I wasn't losing my mind I ran the same test on my 8.03cs2 pc (recording headphones with click). Yup 8.03 is fine, the headphone and bussed click track are perfectly aligned.

So how are folks recording with 8.04?
-Recording with Reaper and using Pro Tools just for editing? So it didn't affect you?
-you saw this problem and manually adjusted since release?
-MM ATA hides the problem so you guys didn't see it?

Last question:
-Is there a way to know exactly the sample size of the anti-latency? (I couldn't think of an antonym for latency).

I'm curious because I've only run one recording session on 8.04 a few weeks ago. I must've spent about 3 days re-mastering and re-mixing trying to fix audible phase issues. In the end I gave up, put the session on ice. I was about to start work on it again until I saw this post. I never thought the problem was 'anti-latency'. I thought I had induced some latency somehow and was compensating audio tracks in the wrong direction :-| I dont use outboard gear on mixing (well, very very rarely) so was really stumped, but at least now I know what I've got to do it fix it :).

I'll be using 8.03 for recording from now on and move the sessions to my (more powerful) 8.04 pc for mixing as the problem seems to be only on external inputs, not internal routes/bouncedowns/comping.

Cheers all,
Mike.
P.S. I've been away from Pro Tools for a while so apologise if my questions have been answered previously.
Reaper works great when recording through my mbox 2, just cleared up a 40 track session. My only issue is the fact I get some distorted audio after a while using the mbox..

For PT 8.0.4 I did a reggaeton session few weeks ago before knowing of this issue and realize most parts of the song is completly off..sad world..

Reaper is now my primary DAW until issues with PT get fixed. Might buy a new mobile system since the problems with the mbox 2 are very annoying.

--

site: http://www.everythinglegit.com

Wah gwaan down deh..

System: Pro Tools LE, mbox 2, m-audio keyboard, HP DV7 laptop, Reaper 3 and alot of studios.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
So how are folks recording with 8.04?
I've been using my mac for recording. The mac version of 8.0.4 doesn't have this problem, but that only works for people with a mac.

If I didn't have a mac for recording, I would be manually moving every region that I recorded.
Or using other software.
Or rolling back to 8.0.3

Honestly, this is a HUGE problem, I cannot believe they released it like this, and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

Really, sadly another embarrassment for the folks at Avid.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
I've been using my mac for recording. The mac version of 8.0.4 doesn't have this problem, but that only works for people with a mac.

If I didn't have a mac for recording, I would be manually moving every region that I recorded.
Or using other software.
Or rolling back to 8.0.3

Honestly, this is a HUGE problem, I cannot believe they released it like this, and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

Really, sadly another embarrassment for the folks at Avid.
ABSOLUTELY!!!! what I/O devices are involved??? i know 002r and 002 console are affected. what other devices are bein' impacted with this issue? it would be good to document this so DTS can inform the proper people.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM

The 002r is the only one I have tested here on 8.0.4 and it is affected, and records 480 samples ahead at a 64 buffer. 8.0.3 is best for any serious recording until we get a fix...

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
The 002r is the only one I have tested here on 8.0.4 and it is affected, and records 480 samples ahead at a 64 buffer. 8.0.3 is best for any serious recording until we get a fix... or ADC to put an end to all this nonsense.
hopefully we'll get some 003 and mbox2 owners to chime in

Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Well... I can confirm it with the MBox 2 Mini.

Again, Windows only; OSX works just fine.

Benoni apparently claims not to have the problem with the 003R or Eleven Rack, but I would definitely like to get confirmation on that.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 PM

trouble-shot this most of the day...what i did find out is if a bus or send insert is used to bus to another audio track things are placed properly. the audio DOES get placed early in the track if a track output channel and with a return via a track input. so looks like its isolated to the track output channel with a return via the track input channel. also the choice of F/W driver made a difference in how early the audio got placed too...not by a lot...but noticeable regardless. oh...and the larger the buffer size the earlier the audio is placed. i haven't tested the headphones/mic thingy tho.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
oh...and the larger the buffer size the earlier the audio is placed.
I got this also.

The LSI firewire controller and the TI controller are acting about the same for me.

Sending the click through headphones to a U87 and back in to an audio track in record is not pretty. Nor is using a direct patch from out to record in.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm sorry I can't reply to this thread, I don't do recording sessions on my Win7, PT8.0.4 laptop and my studio rig is still on XP and 8.0.3 but maybe if I find time tomorrow I'll give it a shot.

This isn't some lame attempt at ADC for LE is it?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:44 AM

I had the same "early audio" issue after updating to 8.0.4. I thought my PC was too old... well, it is old but, I see a lot of users running W7x64 having the same issue, and DTS has finally acknowledge the bug. I rolled back to 8.0.3 for now...

https://linktr.ee/sergius128