Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM

Default Two clips, shorter one under - how to reveal it?

Hello guys! I have an elementary question, but I haven't been able to find a satisfying answer so far and none of my PT friends helped.

The easiest example in PT10 on Mac...

Let's say, I have two clips in one track and playlist. One is a second long and the other one ten seconds long. When I grab the long one over the other and drop it there, the short one is hidden under the long one. How can I reveal the short one back?

I tried Send to Back & Bring to Front functions and no result. Of course I tried to use a grab tool and move the long one back, but it takes the short one as well. Is the short one "lost"? I know it is in the clip list, but I would have to drag it there manually.

How can I even find out, that there is a clip under the visible clip?

The real situation is that I accidentally pressed D with command+S and some clips were laid over the others and then I did some other record, so I couldn't undo. I had to use a .ptx backup after the session. So I am looking for some easy solution for next time.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Two clips, shorter one under - how to reveal it?

That's a good question, and I don't have a good answer, nor do I find myself in that particular situation, like... ever. But, I would switch to Spot mode, and then drag the shorter clip back into the playlist from the Clips list.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 AM

Thanks for answer, but imagine you have a group of 48 audio tracks to solve with different start times, fades, crossfades, etc. It is impossible to drag everything back from clip list. Wondering how the clips were set would take maybe more time, than to create everything again from raw (unedited) takes.

I am looking for a way, how to remove the visible clip or push the one under. If it is even possible... Any other idea?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 AM

I totally understand what you're saying. The problem is that Send to back/Bring to front only works for visible (neighboring) clips. When you completely cover a clip with a larger clip, the smaller one effectively disappears from the playlist.

I use the command Save as whenever I'm about to make big changes, and sometimes I also edit on a duplicate playlist.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 AM

Once a region covers up another region entirely the first is gone from the timeline.

But you always have a chance to retrieve accidentally lost stuff by importing those tracks from one of the automatically created backups in the session file backups folder.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Liquid Sound: did you find any workaround for this behavior? Seems crazy that extending a clip over another then moving it back results in a deleted clip off the timeline.... is there no option to allow overlapping parts like it most other DAWs?