Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-03-2006, 10:19 AM

Default how to change DAE buffer??

In the reference guide it says "DAE is inside the DAE folder within your system folder". However when I open my system folder, there is nothing called DAE in there. The only thing called DAE in my drive is a DAE Prefs folder, and that appears empty. Is part of my brain missing, or did somebody leave something out of this?

Also, how can I up the amount of memory available to PT? Have things changed in OSX? If I "control I" the protools ap, I see there is a Memory tab in the Protools 6.4.1 Info window, however I can't click on the memory and change it from its default 52megs of memory. Why not?? In OS9 I was able to up PT/DAE memory to 200 megs, 600 megs, whatever.

I mention these items only because with a new install of 6.4.1 I am having performance problems of one sort or another.

sincerely in sync

c-post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Re: how to change DAE buffer??

go to "setups window", select "playback engine setup" and it's down in the left corner.

Not sure why the memory to app setting is set at 50000 although I've never had to adjust that because it seems you only need to use so much memory for running the PT app in OSX ( I could be wrong though ) , the rest of the CPU usage usually goes to using RTAS plugs or other soft synths which can be set in the "CPU usuage limit" in the same "playback engine setup" window.

Hope this helps,

RS

Supreme Beings of Leisure
album coming soon
Old 07-04-2006, 02:35 AM

Quote:

Also, how can I up the amount of memory available to PT? Have things changed in OSX? If I "control I" the protools ap, I see there is a Memory tab in the Protools 6.4.1 Info window, however I can't click on the memory and change it from its default 52megs of memory. Why not?? In OS9 I was able to up PT/DAE memory to 200 megs, 600 megs, whatever.

c-post
jep, things have changed in osx! you don´t have to allocate a specific amount of ram to pt anymore...
Old 07-05-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:

jep, things have changed in osx! you don´t have to allocate a specific amount of ram to pt anymore...
hence the whole problem with OSX.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
hence the whole problem with OSX.
Can you be more specific? That's too vague to understand why you typed it.

c-post, how much RAM do you have in your system? We ran several MIX systems on v6.4.1cs4 with 1.25GB of RAM. Can you elaborate on your performance issues?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Also, how can I up the amount of memory available to PT? Have things changed in OSX?
Memory is dynamically allocated in OSX. Hence the benefits of OSX.
PT loves the RAM in OSX. The more the better. I had 1.5GB on OS10.3.8 with PT6.9.1 for over a year and it was the most stable system for me in over 10 years.
Now I'm on PT7 w/ 3.5GB and I've got my fingers crossed.