Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-05-2022, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Changing outputs during playback causes digital noise on input channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocksf View Post
Ya, I realize changing input/output assignments during playback is probably not a great idea, I just thought this behavior was interesting and over all not a great experience. Unfortunately I don't have an Avid interface anymore to test out if this happens there too.

I don't recall ever running into this before, so perhaps it's something in one of the newer releases. I was playing around with this more last night and it does not happen with playback stopped, so I guess the moral of the story is...don't change inputs/outputs during playback. :)

Thanks for all the responses guys.
It's probably less likely to occur with an Avid interface. 3rd party hardware tends to work swimmingly, but every now and then (ahem... "Antelope!") they don't play nice with PT; not speaking their exact language and all.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Changing outputs during playback causes digital noise on input channels

hey all,

joined the forum because almost this exact scenario randomly started happening to me today after i was messing with the UAD Console to change some output routing around.

the issue that started happening (even not during playback) is that when an output was changed from 1-2 to another output (3-4) and then changed back to 1-2, output 3-4 would have the digital noise mentioned before.
example:
signal gen output 1-2 : normal operation
change to output 3-4 : normal operation
change to output 1-2 : digital noise on 3-4, normal operation on 1-2

this noise would only present itself if audio was passing through the output.

you could make the noise go away by making a new stereo channel and outputting to 3-4 and from then 3-4 would operate as expected.

you could also go into playback engine and change the buffer size to make the noise go away, but if you reassigned an output after this the digital noise would be an octave higher or lower depending on which direction you set the buffer!

eventually the only solution that permanently prevented reassigning outputs from generating digital noise on those outputs was to DESELECT the "ignore clicks and pops" setting in the playback engine. incredibly counter-intuitive, but that's pro tools for you.

issue was happening on current macOS m1 mini, protools 22.7, uad version from a few months ago. updated to uad current version, protools 22.9 and issue persisted.

mac mini into uad apollo x16 via thunderbolt into api box mk.2 via dsub

hope this helps someone else so they dont have to waste 3 hours of their life when it pops up again!
Old 04-15-2023, 08:18 PM

I’m having this EXACT same issue! I’m getting playback from output 3/4 whether I want to or not. High pitched squealing noise from Pro Tools and Symphony IO. Something truly bizarre is happening. I like to analog sum my mixes so this kind of behavior from PT can’t be a thing for much long 😭