Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-12-2004, 04:19 AM

Default mid side stereo.

hello,

Does someone have ideas about the one and only "perfect" ms stereo setup in protools 6 tdm?
Old 03-12-2004, 07:04 AM

Default Re: mid side stereo.

Assuming that you recorded the sound with 2 mics in M-S configuration, keep the cardioid mic panned in the center, then pan the fig. 8 mic hard left. Create a new track and copy the fig. 8 mic region into it. Use the RTAS Invert plug in to flip that channels phase and then pan it hard right. that works well in my experience.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:58 PM

Default Re: mid side stereo.

Marcel,
This is easier. I presume you have the waves bundle. There is a MS decoder in it. Make a stereo aux channel with that plug on top.
Don't make a stereo track for the MS pairs, use two mono that are grouped in edit. Send those 2 channels to the MS aux track, panned hard left and right so that M goes to left and S goes to right. Now you have control over stereo width per track.
You don't need to make a new aux for every new MS track, just route it to that MS aux.

Fokke van Saane Amsterdam
(yeah.. i mixed with you, years and years ago)