How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-16-2021, 01:41 PM

Default Re: 11R Editor - Avid Pushing Us Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heir-Apparent View Post
...without the editor it's essentially useless...
If you can share specific things you are having trouble accessing we might be able to help.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:31 PM

As I've said, I've tried everything.

The 11R Editor doesn't show in the taskbar, so there is no option for me to shift click or anything, the window doesn't exist.

I have done the install exactly as mentioned.

Clean W10 machine, Install Editor, allow it to install pace, didn't boot, installed latest IL, reinstalled, nothing, same result every time, everything I do.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:22 PM

I think the last question is was your Windows 10 install really a full clean install? Did you do that or was it done by somebody else? If in doubt grab a new clean installer, install on a spare drive or partition and install the absolute minimum stuff just to test installing the Editor (no Pro Tools, nothing else, a bare minimum test).

While it's a nice convenience I still don't get why the Eleven Rack is useless without the Editor. I have two Eleven Racks, the Editor slows me down (and that's academic anyhow as it's pretty broken on latest macOS versions), the front panel UI is simple/fast to use. Being able to save rigs is nice, I have another way, but in a pinch you can just write down the settings if you need to. But in practice, most people will just save them in the box, these units really rarely lost anything/need a memory reset.

As Jeffro said, if there is something you can't work out how to do outside of the Editor, just ask.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:17 PM

Have re-installed windows 3 times because of this.

It is useless because I don't use Pro Tools, I use Cubase, so having the Editor open along with Cubase is essential, the speed at which I can access certain features on the Editor is a click of the mouse.

I had no issues with the Editor and Cubase with Windows 7.

I got a new PC with Windows 10 and the Editor hasn't opened once, no matter the version of Windows 10, no matter straight after a clean install, no matter the compatibility settings.

That alone should be a red flag for Avid, if us customers are needing to fiddle like ****ing software engineers and rely on others to figure **** out to get their Editor to work with Windows 10, they should have stepped in 3 years ago and said "you know what, the 11R Editor has some serious compatibility issues with Windows 10, let's allocate Steve 20 hours to sort it out and release 11R Editor 2 for them"

But no, we collectively allocate thousands of personal hours to figure it out and people are still having problems.

Hence my title - Avid pushing us away.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:15 AM

But Avid is not pushing "us" away... "us" don't have this problem. So far it seems only you do. Which is unfortunate for you, and I wish there was a quick way to try to help fix that for you.

If lots of other folks were having the same problem they would be screaming about it on DUC.

The Stand Alone Editor is not a simple cleanly packaged product, it ties in ILM for questionable reasons and aspects of Pro Tools plugin to get the UI elements. It has far more complexity and likely compatibility issues than it should have. And that might be part of the cause you are seeing. Given that it's an effectively end of life freebie product I doubt you'll find anybody at Avid willing to help debug what is going on, and I can't reproduce the problem so can't even do a quick poke around, so you are likely going to need to find an alternative, try a different PC, live without the editor, switch to a different guitar processor, etc.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:25 AM

This is not a solitary issue.

The issue of the window vanishing and others figuring out magic ways of installing it just so their PC boots up, I dunno what planet you're on but even you had to perform the install a specific way, so it's an issue that hasn't been addressed.

I suspect others aren't complaining because they gave up and gave up on Avid, you get the same **** with PT as well, buggiest DAW by miles, why you think it's been surpassed in the last decade, lack of competence on the software side of things has meant others have caught up and passed them in what other DAWs are capable of with zero headaches comparatively.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:39 AM

You are pointing out Avid does not care about a product that they fired/pushed out most of the friggin product team years ago? Then tossed a piece of freebie software over the fence abandoned and never updated it... all those signs have been bleeding obvious for years. I had assumed you might have come here looking to see if other users might be able to help you. If it's just to whine about Avid not supporting a dead product you are wasting your time.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Yes I meant interface, I don't use Pro Tools so without the Editor my 11 Rack is pretty useless.
I have my 11R for 10 years and used the editor like maybe 4-5 times.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
This is not a solitary issue.

The issue of the window vanishing and others figuring out magic ways of installing it just so their PC boots up, I dunno what planet you're on but even you had to perform the install a specific way, so it's an issue that hasn't been addressed.

I suspect others aren't complaining because they gave up and gave up on Avid, you get the same **** with PT as well, buggiest DAW by miles, why you think it's been surpassed in the last decade, lack of competence on the software side of things has meant others have caught up and passed them in what other DAWs are capable of with zero headaches comparatively.
The situation you are describing is more related to Microsoft than Avid. I work on PC as a developer/software engineer and I am experimenting the same behaviour with almost all software I install on Windows (from XP to 10). I spent 4 days last month trying to install drivers for my old, but supported under Windows 10, HP Laserjet printer. Got it working with the same painful effort you spent trying to have your 11R editor working.
I have Mac at home and never had problem installing software, my HP Laserjet was recognize in seconds, same with my 11R editor.
Even installing software on my Ubuntu Linux is more straight forward than on a Windows PC.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:07 AM

Sorry if 'everything' already includes the workaround I linked to from Benoni, but thought it worth asking again about this specifically. The info is also in the KB at avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/The-Eleven-Rack-Editor-cannot-be-maximized-Windows-systems-only