Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Another Neve question

Sorry, guys, but I need to ask a question that's probably been asked over and over again (and yes; I have done an extensive search, but not found the answers I need).

I'd like to buy a Neve-clone preamp for my project studio, but the choices have me confused. What I'm looking to get, is a good quality preamp that will add some "character"/color and be the main one, for vox, guitar and maybe snare.
The Great River ME-1NV gets good reviews, and is perhaps my number one choice, but this one seems to be somewhat cleaner than the original 1073. Not sure if that's good or bad.
In the same price range you have the Brent Averill 1272; but from what I understand, this does not sound the same as an 1073 when pushed? Somewhat more expensive is the Vintech x73i and the Dual 72.

Since I don't do much EQ'ing on the way in, would I be better of avoiding the Vintech x73i and the likes, since I'm then probably paying for the EQ-section I don't really need?

What is the main differences between these pre's, and which one, if any, would you recommend?

Since I'm living in Norway there's no way I can test any of these, so I need your help.
Any comments are welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Dag

----------------------------------------------------
G5 DP 2.5 GHz 2.5 gig OSX 10.3.8
Digi 002R 6.9
M-Audio Octane
Neumann U87
3 x Octava Mk-012
Rode NT1000
3 x Shure SM 57
Old 05-18-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Another Neve question

hey..i went thru this before... I looked at the vintechs and avrill, great river and chandler. It came down to me to decide between the averill 1272 and the great river.. I got the Averill and It sounds killer. Love it for vox, snare and guitars. It's not a 1073 --but i think up to 40-50 dm gain they are the same...1073's impart an additional transformer for gain above. I would take a LONG HARD look at the Great River tho. Supposedly it sounds more like a 1073 with a more 'open' (non-transient compressed) top end. Averill was killer to work with--answering questions -- and the 1272s do me right every time as my main pres for overdubbs. Love that Neve thing. Good luck... x BTW i just did a session w/ an original u87 and I HAVE to get one now for my 1272's ....vox sounded amazing...

my chain was U87>Averill 1272>Distressor (or RNC) >Apogee Rosetta....... beautiful!!... take care ...xtian
Old 05-18-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Another Neve question

The Neve 1272 circuit wasn't a real mic preamplifier intended for recording; it was a line amp used in the console for things like the talkback mic, summing buss amplification, etc. Very similar guts to a 1073, but not enough gain without modification and the addition of another amp card.

1073s on the other hand are real mic preamps, with EQ, with the extra gain necessary for professional mic preamplification. They, of course, sound great.

Modern recreations of the 1272 can also sound great; they are just limited in gain unless someone adds another gain stage before the output transformer.

Personally, after lots of comparisons (including with real Neve mic preamps on a regular basis) I bought the MP2NV. With the ability to control the input and output gain, you can go from growly and warm (crank the input, back off the output) to pretty darn clear. Very flexible. I've used mine on dozens of sessions, on everything from drums, to acoustic and electric guitars, voice, mandolin, hammond....

Here are some good Neve resources:

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/neverap.html
http://www.phoenixaudio.net/neve.htm

Damon