Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-18-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Problem opening Nuendo 2 OMF in DigiTranslator

Wondering if anyone has had experience with Nuendo 2.x OMF files and DigiTranslator. We need to bring material created on a Nuendo 2.x system, WinXP Pro, in wav format (I assume broadcast wav). The material is exported from Nuendo as follows: OMF v.2, 24 bit audio (orig. bitrate), 44.1k (orig. sample rate), exported as a single file with media included. The audio files are in .wav format, and according to the Nuendo user, there are no options in the export dialog to convert the audio to .aif.

The files do not open in DigiTranslator 2 on either a PT 5.1.3cs11 system or a PT 6.1 system. In DigiTranslator 1.01 (standalone), the files will open, but in each case the audio is entirely distorted (full level white noise). The OMF files do not open with the OMFTool 2.0.8 either. It is also interesting to note that in our second test, DigiTranslator 1.01 reports that the 24 bit audio files are only 16 bit.

I have opened and played both OMF files in Fairlight's AVTransfer software. It reports no problems, and identifies and plays all of the material correctly. We are only evaluating AVTransfer, and so cannot use it to "repair" these OMF files.

Any insight into this problem would be apppreciated.

Thanks,

Jules
Old 05-18-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Problem opening Nuendo 2 OMF in DigiTranslator

I'm a Nuendo user that scanned their forum for this functionality. There was a program called Audmorph 2.0 from Digaudio that seemed to be the program that did the trick. It was free if I remember correctly. You might want to try to google yourself up a copy. This program has changed to MM-EDL which is found at MM-EDL. But like AVtransfer, it's now $500.

As far as how we go from Nuendo to ProTools: Nuendo 2.1 has the awesome ability of taking the range select tool, high-lite all tracks that should be export, and click on edit|bounce tracks.

This does an very fast 'offline' (no FX) bounce of all audio withing the range and creates new files that can be any bit/rate/format of your choosing.

We save the files to an external MAC formatted firewire drive (via MacDrive in WinXP) and then all the files can be brought into a new session of any DAW.

Also, in Nuendo, in the audio pool is where you can convert files to/from any bit/rate/format to any other. Just select and right click - choose convert/conform files.

Regards,

Jason
Old 05-21-2004, 05:09 PM

I got very good results with EDL Convert; they convert any OpenTL, AES31 or OMF to Pro Tools 5 format. Their sessions even work on the Mac.
My workflow was: I exported an AES31 from Nuendo, used EDL Convert to create a Pro Tools session and copied it to a FAT32 disk. I connected the disk to my G4 and opened the session. Done!

I think they might have a demo out by now. If you go to www.cuibono-soft.com, you 'll easily find it.

franz
Old 05-25-2004, 09:03 AM

Thanks for sharing your own experiences with Nuendo and third party translators. I am looking into both software packages to see if they will help us solve other translation problems as well.

I do still have questions as to why the OMF files will not open directly in DigiTranslator 2. We have successfully opened OMF files created in Nuendo 1.6 with no problems. Has Steinberg changed something in version 2.x to "break" the OMF export function? Are there issues with track layout (ie, stereo files, etc.) or project features that are causing corruption when DigiTranslator attempts to read the OMF file? What about audio file format?

Any experience regarding these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jules
Old 05-25-2004, 06:31 PM

fairlight as an app out that appearantly is a real hot item......its called avtransfer and its objective is converting between all major file formats.......

from quick specs, appearantly u can go directly from a nuendo npr right to a ptsession......

i could be wrong about its true functionality between N2 and PT, BUT its worth a shot if its true!

search google for fairlight avtransfer

paul
Old 05-25-2004, 06:34 PM

haha omg im hideous, i thought i read the entire post lmao

so i guess ya already know about fairlight

hahaha totally sorry about that

-p
Old 05-26-2004, 08:33 PM

I have confirmed that OMF export is one of the features that suffered in the Nuendo 2.x update from ver. 1.6. Stereo tracks and files are a real problem, and there may be others. We are trying an OMF export of a Nuendo 2.2 project created with mono only tracks, and are hoping it will work.

Steinberg knows about the problem, but apparently it's been difficult getting them to fix any post features since Pinnacle bought them. This should keep AVID and Digi happy. I spoke to one high end video equipment dealer (deals both AVID and Nuendo), and he has stopped recommending Nuendo to his clients because he's tired of apologizing.

Oh, and Paul (and everyone else), AVTransfer is brilliant. I've looked at the other software suggestions from this thread, and they don't do everything that AVTransfer does. I've actually got experience with the software, and I beta tested the AES31 translators a long time ago when AES31 was new and stood a chance of survival. The developers are top notch and are quick with customer service and bug fixes. It is a Windows only app, but the OMF files it repairs and exports are fully compatible on the Mac platform (as are all OMF files, theoretically). I would very much like to convince my present employer of it's value, so I could avoid these kinds of headaches.

Cheers,

Jules