Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM

Default Is Pro Tools certification really 'worth it'??

I live in NYC and two Avid authorized training centers are within arm’s reach of each other. If anyone has gone to either ProMedia Training OR Future Media Concepts in New York City, I would LOVE some insider info.

I'm interested in the 14 day course that, upon completion (and passing) 3 exams, I will be a ProTools certified operator at the expert level.

Yeah, yeah....sounds cool....but is it worth it?

First off, I will admit that while I may be better than average in regards to navigating and using ProTools, I know undoubtedly that I still have something to learn. After all, I’m completely self-taught.

Is certification JUST for people who want to work at a major record label? I know the education would certainly benefit me in my project studio environment and maybe even drum up better/more business as clients might feel me a more reputable engineer knowing I was certified. That said, 85% of the ‘pros’ I know tend to say that certification isn’t worth it.

Question Is: Is a $6,000 certification course a better investment than saving the tuition payments and using the money towards purchasing an HDX rig?

I went to open houses for ProMedia Training and I was the nerd in the room that knew the answer to most questions. Also, I was the only person who was interested in more than 'making beats' with ProTools.

Thanks in advance Forum Friends!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Is ProTools certification really 'worth it'??

The way you end up with a job in entertainment crafts is all about who knows what you know and then being in the right place at the right time for the call.

I'd spend the money supporting myself in an internship or taking classes at a top music school where I could develop relationships with other students. Meanwhile I'd keep an eye out for work as an assistant where I could meet more people.

I wouldn't bother just being another guy with an HDX rig although CPTK would be a good investment so you can learn the more powerful HD automation features.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM

I would agree with Bob. Only on a logical point and not from experience. The more you surround yourself with people in your field and network the more opportunities there are for you. Also, I have never heard of someone getting a job because they had a cert in the field of music production. More so, from their body of work, how they treat others, and their reputation.

With that being said. I would listen to Bob....hahahaha.

If you have the money and time...I would say go for it, but to most of us that is a luxury that is not available.

Those are my two cents.

Dan
Apple Imac 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.8.2, Apogee Ensemble, Pro Tools 10.3, CUBSE 6.5, API LUNCH BOX, CLASSIC API VP312, CLASSIC API VP26, Drip Electronics Pultec, Hairball Stereo 1176 revD, Audio Maintenance EZ1073, Adam A7X, WAVES PLUGINS, Slate Audio Plugins

Last edited by sdbrotastic; 11-26-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: because I am a dumby
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearson8 View Post
I live in NYC and two Avid authorized training centers are within arm’s reach of each other. If anyone has gone to either ProMedia Training OR Future Media Concepts in New York City, I would LOVE some insider info.

I'm interested in the 14 day course that, upon completion (and passing) 3 exams, I will be a ProTools certified operator at the expert level.

Yeah, yeah....sounds cool....but is it worth it?

First off, I will admit that while I may be better than average in regards to navigating and using ProTools, I know undoubtedly that I still have something to learn. After all, I’m completely self-taught.

Is certification JUST for people who want to work at a major record label? I know the education would certainly benefit me in my project studio environment and maybe even drum up better/more business as clients might feel me a more reputable engineer knowing I was certified. That said, 85% of the ‘pros’ I know tend to say that certification isn’t worth it.

Question Is: Is a $6,000 certification course a better investment than saving the tuition payments and using the money towards purchasing an HDX rig?

I went to open houses for ProMedia Training and I was the nerd in the room that knew the answer to most questions. Also, I was the only person who was interested in more than 'making beats' with ProTools.

Thanks in advance Forum Friends!
Well if you are going to do the Pro-Tools cert I will tell you that IAR(Institute of Audio Research) on University by Union Square offers an AMP program which teaches you micing, recording, and techniques for movie production and ALSO comes with a Pro-Tools cert, and doesn't cost as much as you are saying. I have a bunch of friends that got their Pro-Tools cert that way. I am an Alumni of the school, it is a good place to learn and definitely if you are thinking of the Pro-Tools cert. Also, I believe having the Cert is a good selling point if you are trying to book people to record in your studio (whether it be an official studio or project). If you tell someone you are certified it gives an air of knowledge and trust to those that don't really understand tracking or mixing, but that is just my opinion. Either way if you do go for it, GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearson8 View Post
Is a $6,000 certification course a better investment than saving the tuition payments and using the money towards purchasing an HDX rig?
No. There are plenty of FREE Pro Tools tutorials online, it would be a better investment to take a course in Audio Engineering than taking a Pro Tools certification course... You can learn Pro Tools easily in compared to learning how to engineer with it... I was taught Pro Tools in college but learned most of what I know through use and experience.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
The single most valuable thing I've ever invested in related to this industry is the time spent to network with other people. Knowing people who can send you work is the only way you ever will make any money. Gas, plane tickets, lunches, etc. used for this purpose are almost always money well spent. (I say almost, because there are a lot of B.S.'ers in this industry that act like they have connections and can get work for you, but don't, and never will.... You just need to learn how to identify and filter out these people so they don't waste too much of your time).

Having enough gear to get the job done is obviously a prerequisite as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need an HDX rig. I would get a used HD Accel system to start, and use that to keep your skills current. The best time to buy something like HDX is when you know you have enough work in the pipeline for it to pay for itself quickly. Your clients really don't care what you're using so long as what you deliver sounds good and is finished on time.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
No. There are plenty of FREE Pro Tools tutorials online, it would be a better investment to take a course in Audio Engineering than taking a Pro Tools certification course... You can learn Pro Tools easily in compared to learning how to engineer with it... I was taught Pro Tools in college but learned most of what I know through use and experience.
agreed, i went to engineering school, digital / analog recording arts & mixing... yes we used Pro Tools extensively and as such did carry a very thorough understanding of pro tools, as well as logic!... we spent a good portion of the year working on pro tools projects which covered just about every damn piece of the software, and as such, even though it was based on version 5 & 6 {this was a decade ago } i now have zero issues picking up the changes made over several revisions... unless you're looking to be an instructor, pro tools certification should not be your end goal!

DIGITAL / ANALOG RECORDING & MIXING AUDIO ENGINEER has a much better sound to it dont it!?? that is something that really stands out in a resume,...

at the end of the day, its not about what marks you got, or what one daw certification you have... i'm a certified problem solver.!.. bring it on!!

op!... I paid exactly what you are proposing, for a year long full time course, and i got to spend a good 10 hours a day in a 'half a million dollar' studio
alongside several hours of in depth pro tools & logic use and configuration, making it all work together with the rest of the studio, meaning digital transfer
to and from adat, to and from pro tools TDM, access to a full double stack rack of analog / digital effects goodies & gizmoes {ever used a black face 1176!? we had two!}, used all sorts of cool mics which we still use today!
i mean, every damn piece of cable & connector type you will encounter in a modern studio, we handled daily!... we also had access to a budget minded {yah right!} digital studio and a full blown Post Production
facility running PRO TOOLS along-side FINAL CUT PRO! hell we got to work with a couple of actors who would come in to do
Additional Dialogue Recording (ADR) & walla! and took part in a film project where
we had to do all sound efx syncing on pro tools itself before final print {this side project was boring as all hell mind you, probably the reason i'm not in post production today lol}.. In fact,! my favourite project
was being asked to take the helm on the big studio when a full blown 6 piece jazz band came in to record their songs for future release.! kids who had pro tools at home were scared to take on a proper recording console.
I had no such issues, having completed a 1 year electrical engineer program a few years prior, i figured, this is what we're here for isnt iT!?? lets just say the leader of the band was so impressed they specifically requested
i take part in all the sessions during the week long project {i had just walked in that morning, since i had finished my pro tools assignments early, and had not officially signed on for the project, that changed in a hurry mind you! :)}

14 days is jack imho,...

Old 11-26-2012, 03:59 PM

There's nothing like using the software extensively to have quick reflex and be efficient. The more you work with, more you will incorporate new shortcuts and new tricks (that you will learn discussing with others and watching free YouTube vids). ProTools certification, sounds cool but I don't think that it will be THE thing that will make you work more than someone else.

PT Ultimate 2021.06 on macOS 10.14.6
Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM

yes, exactly! real time, real world use of this kind of a package is essential to being smooth and fast.! i'm still amazed at how many totally random questions i'm able to answer with regards to pro tools and configuration.. i've probably forgotten more about pro tools than most instructors teach today... mostly only due to the fact that it is much much easier to work with nowadays {elastic audio anyone!? lol}... HD PRO TOOLS is an absolute dream to me... i feel like a kid in a candy store every time i pull it up... now ten years after the fact, I am proficient enough in all areas regarding to audio engineering, i actually designed and built my own custom rig, and now that i'm older and have a little $, its a real treat to see what is available to us small studio users.. and i very rarely have to rely on youtube for tips & tricks.. lol.. ohh yeah. WIN 7 FTW! HAHAHAH...

actually, one more point... i did recently meet an instructor at the Vancouver Film School, who just received the very same PRO TOOLS 10 certification you mention... completely FREE!
one of the perks of being an instructor i guess...

Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7748 View Post

If you tell someone you are certified it gives an air of knowledge and trust to those that don't really understand tracking or mixing,
Interesting opinion since becoming a certified PT operator actually teaches you nothing about tracking or mixing , except how to get a signal in record it put a plug on it bus it then bounce to disc. It doesn't teach eq compression proper mixing techniques mic placement panning phase correction really nothing that has to do with tracking or mixing. Unless you have absolutely no actual real experience at all. Thats like saying Im a certified guitar operator because I can compently hook up my amp pedals and guitar then get a sound through it. But what if you have a 8Ω head and a 16Ω cabinet what now . Certification seems like a good selling point because it says you understand the basic way to turn it on and apply it , it does not say you can actually use it correctly just that you can. The test is a exam of I believe multiple choose or single answer . It has nothing to do with audio proof in fact you cannot prove any competency in audio with words , unless you are talking theory , Einstein was theory Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Kramer is actual applied knowledge

PT certification teaches nothing more than a few PT function and how to use them in the most generic way. Not in anyway related to audio quality.
Just my opinion . If you have butt loads of cash do it otherwise buy HDX because PT certification only promises that you know how to turn on your equipment and functions competently . Only owning your own studio will actually promise the opportunity for income. Who,s hiring who much experience with prosumer gear do we need to apply , Will they teach me how to operate a SSL with automation and mixing techniques and the basics of sound . NO thats what your supposed to do only through practice and experience , And thats why I record free , because I want to learn audio not make a bunch of $30hr crap

Standard reply to why doesn't it sound good
because the band won't take 2 hours to find the sweet spot for mics on a drum set. 16 tracks thats 7 and a half minutes per mic
Double it 15 minutes 4 hours ( I wish but still crap ) and thats just the drums I haven't even eq,d compressed gated or tuned muffled dampened or anything

THATS 6 ABSOLUTE NESESITIES OF RECORDING now dived that by 15 = 2 minutes 30 seconds , per sound source
Not exactly any kind of professional effort ,and Good luck trying to get a band to pay 4 hours to mic up a set of drums .
They will complain after 60 minutes then ask why doesn't it sound great after the mix
Now do the math for 1 hour on drum set up
divide 2.5 minutes by 4 = 45 SECONDS per sound source .
THE REASON I HAVE TO WAIST MONEY ON SAMPLE REPLACERS AND TRIGGERS . 45 friggin seconds
AND THATS WHY IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP and your playing didn't help much either

You,d better be good at pro tools because the audio is a whole different problem
I could write a essay on how dumb that answer sounds to someone who has real experience.
The best keyboard shot cut you will ever learn
control/option/command /eject