Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Creating Loops With Pro Tools

I'm trying to create a one minute music loop with Pro Tools. I can get a one minute piece of music to loop very cleanly in Pro Tools, but when I bounce it to a WAV file, it clicks at the loop point. Several times I've tried adjusting the start and end points so that the wav forms line up, and I've also used quick imperceptible fades at the beginning and end to bring the audio level down to zero for a fraction of an instant at the loop point. Nevertheless, I can't seem to get rid of the click when I listen to the file in Quicktime, and I don't understand why it sounds perfect when looped in Pro Tools but has a click when looped elsewhere. Does anyone know why this is? And what is the best way to prevent this from happening?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Creating Loops With Pro Tools

Everytime I create loops in PT by bouncing, I get a small amount of dead space at the beginning of the resulting bounce. I also sometimes get a click at the end. I always have to import them back into a PT session, trim off this dead space to where the region again loops, select this newly edited region, then select "export as file" from the region bin commands.

I have suspected this dead space may be caused or at least increased by the number of plugs on the master fader. But I could be wrong since I have yet to test that theory. It may just be the way bounce to disc works.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:46 AM

win, your clicking problem is caused by the fact that the file starts on non-0-crossing. to fix it, import the loop into a wave editor (try goldwave - great and free) and create a small fade at each end of the file.

stereo type, yup, if you have latency inducing plugs on your master fader, then your end result will be shifted. you've got a fix already, but you should try goldwave too. its really fast for 2 track editing stuff like this.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:40 PM

Thanks, Stereo Type and DJ 3plet. Lots of great information! I'm going to go get goldwave - thanks a lot for that link! I put a small fade on the beginning and end of the file, so that shouldn't be the problem, but since my last post I have gone back and checked the file, adjusted the loop point carefully. It is looping perfectly now in every sound application I have, except Quicktime. Ah, well. I've decided not to take that too seriously.

Thanks again for your help!

Win
Old 03-30-2004, 10:41 AM

i had that same'clic' at the end of my audio files when i boundced them out as "Convert DURING Bounce" but when i select "Convert AFTER Bounce" the little pop at the end goes away.

go left next time
Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win View Post
I'm trying to create a one minute music loop with Pro Tools. I can get a one minute piece of music to loop very cleanly in Pro Tools, but when I bounce it to a WAV file, it clicks at the loop point. Several times I've tried adjusting the start and end points so that the wav forms line up, and I've also used quick imperceptible fades at the beginning and end to bring the audio level down to zero for a fraction of an instant at the loop point. Nevertheless, I can't seem to get rid of the click when I listen to the file in Quicktime, and I don't understand why it sounds perfect when looped in Pro Tools but has a click when looped elsewhere. Does anyone know why this is? And what is the best way to prevent this from happening?
This is precisely the problem I'm having. I can't seem to set a loop point in PT that gets rid of the click. What's the trick?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM

DonaldM, did you even read the 4 year old post that you dug up?

The "trick" has already been given; fades.

Look them up in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12