Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Heat + Complete Plugin Bundle for all subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Isn't business as usual to raise prices as years go by? Won't you?
Are you for real ? 5% 10% is a raise ... 100% is criminal ! And you can spin it anyway you like ... a thief is a thief.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Another option (pending): buy a Perpetual HEAT license for US $199

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...-no-extra-cost

“What About Pro Tools Perpetual License Holders And HEAT
The perpetual license version of HEAT will be available as a promotion at the lower price of $199.”
Should be close now.... the date of the article is 3 weeks now so maybe we will hear something this week.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 07-27-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock999 View Post
Are you for real ? 5% 10% is a raise ... 100% is criminal ! And you can spin it anyway you like ... a thief is a thief.
I didn't say I like it.

I guess there are going to be some that find the upcoming Mac Pro just what they need and some that find the pricing outrageous even as entry level model, but that's just the way it is. To be fair, Apple just reinstated the price point of 20 years ago.

Money changing value yearly you cannot really expect same price points maintained forever.

Avid pricelist is just so confused there is guaranteed to be some that find that just the option they would like has a high price increase. They can choose to continue with that path or find another option. Maybe they are on their way to offering fewer options in the future, but for now the change to subscription model and all kinds of crossgrades make my head spin...
Old 07-27-2019, 12:11 PM

A small offtop. Do you think that recent price increase for subscriptions and renewals means that Avid is stepping up their dev game and planning to focus more on features and general improvements compared to how they've been operating in this sphere for the past years? Or is it just "Times are tough, business is tough so now pay more if you want to stay industry standard"? All the negativity aside, I am assuming that they have smart people on their teams and they want to push Pro Tools forward and stay competitive for different professionals, semi-pros and amateurs who will or will not go pro at some point but still are willing to pump plenty of their money into Avid as long as they find it worth it and as long as they see that Pro Tools is headed in the right direction according to them. This year in my opinion has been pretty weird for Avid in general so far. They had a fairly significant delay with 2019.5 where they focused mostly on continuous playback which has been super long overdue and probably fairly large under the hood improvements to make it all work. Then the follow-up with 2019.6 just to fix some stuff they broke with .5 and prepare for new HEAT and Plugin Bundle distribution with all the subscription craze and confusing cross-grades and unclear explanations and we are where we are. If one thinks about the last 8 months, hardly anything happened. Yes, the smooth playback will be a big feature for some and we assume that it required lots of work based on the time they took to get it done but considering that other DAWs had this for a decade+ as a STANDARD, not as a feature and ONLY Avid managed to make a big deal out of it, to market it somehow? and justify the wait?, it might not even be considered a feature but just Avid fixing their stuff. Obviously it's just my perspective but depending on how we choose to look at the last 8 months, it might or might not seem very disappointing overall, then the price increase. A fairly big one percentage wise. Are we supposed to see the recent months with 2019.5 smooth playback and the price increase as a foundation for a better, more focused development of Pro Tools, more features, more bug fixes etc. OR is it just them struggling, trying to milk us as much as they can before those of us who can, jump the ship or park and stop supporting them for years? Just my 5 cents as I am quite curious what the future will bring after all the bitterness and anger with them have settled a bit.

Last edited by matthewmkb; 07-27-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:31 PM

We shall see.

2018 gave us six releases, 2019 so far only two (mainly because of the missed 2019.3 release). I'm not betting on Avid releasing every month until the year's end but I take your point was more like "what's in it" when they make a release.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:49 PM

Weren't they supposed to release 2019.5 as 2019.1 originally? And then they kept delaying it. I think it was said in the interview on pro-tools-expert. This would mean that perhaps the 2019.6 follow-up would happen february or march. Assuming that nothing happens this month anymore, we could probably say that they are at least 4 months behind the schedule. What I am wondering is whether the recent occurrences are a sign of serious problems with different things in their HQ or just a slightly wobbly and problematic setup of new foundation to push things forward and make Pro Tools much better for all of us.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:20 PM

I think it is easily to forget...... but 2019.5 wasn’t JUST about smooth playback per say... if you look at the release notes there is an extensive bug fix list there of which I reckon would have been fairly hard work to complete and very well may have pushed back the release date to get right. And if you go back over the theme being put forward by users on the site seem to be “fix the bugs and forgo new features” and or may be the dev team wanted to sorts these issues (get the foundations right) before looking at implementing new features.

There has been a definite improvement in stability with 2019.5 and it came out supporting the latest macOS to boot... which I think was a step up in itself.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 07-27-2019, 01:27 PM

I agree with everything you said. I forgot that so many bugs got fixed with 2019.5. But I also think that the continuous playback is more like a fix rather than a feature yet they made such a big deal out of it that it made me assume that what hides beneath it is a lot work on the foundation of Pro Tools and under the hood improvements and mentioned fixes which made them decide to market it as feature- it could very well be one of the fixes in the long list e.g. when swapping plugins or changing the loop Pro Tools no longer cuts the playback/glitches. Many people said that nobody asked for it but if one thinks about it, it really is a good step for Pro Tools, it's such a basic feature, the smooth playback while messing around with stuff, that if anything boggles my mind, it's why it took so long to take care of it.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:35 PM

Posted twice by accident. Anyway it's good to have it and I'm wondering why now? Why the deemed it so important to focus on it and market it this way? Or perhaps as you said it was just one of many, many things and happened to be more feature like and noticeable on the outside that it became a focal point of the update.

Last edited by matthewmkb; 07-27-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:06 PM

Avid is a Hustle and part of that gag is the convoluted roll outs.

I like many here have payed 10000s over 20 years. and they NEVER reward the customers that pay the most. quite the opposite.

this HEAT thing was cool years ago, Love Dave Hill but he always prices his stuff so that no one uses it.. must be some human behavior art project perhaps.

and Avid ... well their converters are USELESS unless you pay 400 a year
one thing they Could Learn from "Adobe" the mighty is: bag the stupid "reinstatement".. it will pay out in the wash...

then again no one under 30 cares about PT unless their caught in one of the "musicproduction College" fishingnets

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]