Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2003, 12:07 PM

Default remote access

hi,

has anyone tried to use remote access to see desktop of another machine and to run protools (start stop type thing for recording in another room) coming back to main room for editing and mixing.

peace john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-29-2003, 05:49 AM

Default Re: remote access

I'm interested in this too. I'm a producer as well as an envineer. So, I thought it would be cool to take my 17" PB into the live room on a stand (with wheels) and be able to control record functions from in the live room. That way, I could have more direct and intimate communication with the artist. I usually have an assistant that can run the transport, but when you are working out parts, some times it's nice to do it myself.

-Tom
Old 12-29-2003, 06:02 AM

I hope I don't sound too naive, but couldn't you just run a long monitor cable out to your recording area and maybe use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to operate Pro Tools from out there?
Old 12-29-2003, 09:56 AM

i am running a long monitor cable now but have an issue as my live room is not just on the other side of the glass but in the garage of house. there is no visual contact and cable run is 75 feet down hallway and downstairs. i have been using (but returning due to problems) an ethernet send receiver solution (KVM extender) from I/O gear. i am looking at the Gefen version (cat 5 1000) but i have to test it out. the remote desktop software could make a clean wireless solution with ibook and airport extreme. bluetooth would be perfect for short runs.

another option would be to have an ethernet based control surface (ala procontrol) and monitor extender. but that would be quite expense. having a way to extend Midi would allow the use of mackie control.

peace ahd thank s for your ideas

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-29-2003, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I hope I don't sound too naive, but couldn't you just run a long monitor cable out to your recording area and maybe use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to operate Pro Tools from out there?
I don't think a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse would reach most control -> live room distances. WiFi (802.11g) can go 150+ feet and does OK through walls. Again... speaking from the producer side, I could sit at the producers desk watching the desktop from my laptop, then just walk out into the live room with my laptop at any moment. I've already got the laptop, so it's not an expense.... it's just a matter of trying it out. I know that one of the rooms I work it has talked about getting an 802.11g hub installed. If they do, I'll try it out. They already have ethernet at the producer's desk that I plug into.

-Tom
Old 12-29-2003, 10:58 AM

The Apple remote desktop software costs extra, so I've never tried it.

There is a free alternative called VNC. You can get the OS X server from
www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html and the OS X client from
www.sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

With Pro Tools over a wireless link, it is fairly sluggish, but it is good enough to be able to hit play and record. On a wired network it is even better.

I've used the Windows VNC clients and they work even better than the Mac ones. The 'Ultr@VNC' client will even scale a high res screen down to fit your laptop which is very nice.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:56 AM

Cm labs Motormix.
You can find'em cheap.I've use one for some time, keep it in the drum booth for remote transport. (MIDI)
Old 12-29-2003, 02:42 PM

At the studio I work at we use Timbuktu Pro for remote control of our 30 odd pt rigs as well as admin and backup stations, nice for us tech guys, don't have to leave the room.
Vancouver BC
Canada