Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 AM

Default C|24 - can I use the control surface to assign output bus?

Hi all - have searched for the answer but no joy, and the user guide is vague.

Is it possible to use the C|24 to assign output buses for a track, or will it only address physical outputs? The manual is quite vague on the subject :

Quote:
3 On each channel where you want to make an assignment, turn the rotary encoder (or in Flip mode, move the fader) to scroll through the list of Inputs or Outputs.
On my C|24 the only outputs listed are physical outputs, not busses.

Any help gratefully received - thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 AM

Default Re: C|24 - can I use the control surface to assign output bus?

You can assign physical outputs and busses using the C|24. As you know how to assign physical outputs, I wonder, why you can't see the busses. I assume you are doing the following:

- In Assign area you press "Output" and then "Assign"
- In channel display you will see all assigned outputs
- With the control knobs under the channel display you assign the output

The further you rotate the knob to the right, the more outputs will be visible. The busses will appear after all physical outputs have been displayed.

If this is not working for you, have you checked if in ProTools "Setup->I/O.../Bus" all required busses are listed? C|24 will only give access to busses that have been defined there.

HTH,
Bow
Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Thanks bow - yeah, all the IO settings are correct, and all the buses (many of which are named) are available. Scrolling right with the encoder pages through the physical outputs, but when it gets to the last one it doesn't move on to the buses. Very odd.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 AM

Sorry to hear that. It works for me with my settings. Unfortunately this week I will not be able to visit my studio. Next week I will check in front of my console what the difference might be.
Which Version of Pt are you using? Not sure if there was a possibility to switch between physical and bus mode using the channel switch below the Rotary Encoder in earlier releases of Pt.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 AM

Took a bit to come back to the studio. Sorry for mixing up things. You are unfortunately right that it is not possible to assign busses to outputs using the C24. Assigning busses to inputs (for AUX and INSTRUMENT tracks) is possible though.
I have been 100 % sure that this worked before. I am using PT 8.0, which version are you using? Maybe it worked in 7.4 for me, would explain why I thought it is possible. Will update to 8.04 today and check if this changes the behavior. If it does, I will update this thread.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowski View Post
Took a bit to come back to the studio. Sorry for mixing up things. You are unfortunately right that it is not possible to assign busses to outputs using the C24. Assigning busses to inputs (for AUX and INSTRUMENT tracks) is possible though.
I have been 100 % sure that this worked before. I am using PT 8.0, which version are you using? Maybe it worked in 7.4 for me, would explain why I thought it is possible. Will update to 8.04 today and check if this changes the behavior. If it does, I will update this thread.
Hi,

Working fine for me!! just keep turning the knob and it does go to the busses.

8.1 cs2 snow leopard

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 AM

Good news. Will then have to upgrade to 8.1. In 8.0.4 it is not working. Didn't want to upgrade now, because of the OS update that is required. Thanks for the hint!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM

It's an annoying feature- also updating to 8.1 to see how that helps.
Here's the workaround I've found though:

C24 WILL let you choose interface or bus inputs IF no input is assigned so:

option-click while setting any track output to "no output" (deletes all showing, so hide tracks you've set up already)
then when you hit assign+output on the C24, you scroll between interface and bus outs 1st, select one with the encoder button, and then the knob scrolls through the selected outs. (select several tracks at once and hit 'do to selected' over in global controls (far right) and you can assign a bunch at once. much nicer than the previous method.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM

8.1 did not solve this problem for me, for what it's worth, but the delete/replace method still works

ptHD 8.1 on quad core 2.66 GHz running OS 10.6.4