Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Default Copy Pro Tools software to different compute?

I purchased a used computer with pro tools hd 7.4 already installed and it did not come with the original installation discs. I was wondering if it's possible to copy the program so I can put it on a different computer if this one breaks down. It's a Mac G4, about 10 years old so I don't think it will last much longer. I really don't wanna have to spend such an extreme amount of money on a new program when I already have this one. I have the registration on an ilok key so that should be proof that I'm not trying to pirate the program, i just wanna move it to another computer.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Copy Pro Tools software to different compute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squier View Post
I purchased a used computer with pro tools hd 7.4 already installed and it did not come with the original installation discs. I was wondering if it's possible to copy the program so I can put it on a different computer if this one breaks down. It's a Mac G4, about 10 years old so I don't think it will last much longer. I really don't wanna have to spend such an extreme amount of money on a new program when I already have this one. I have the registration on an ilok key so that should be proof that I'm not trying to pirate the program, i just wanna move it to another computer.
No. Use the install disks. Which you can replace for nominal cost. http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...24157325886096

If you have filed a transfer of ownership, the installers or maybe updates *might* be in your Avid account for download (I don't know for sure what Avid puts in there in this case).

Darryl
Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 PM

Awesome. $14 isn't bad at all. Do they come with all the plug-ins too?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squier View Post
Awesome. $14 isn't bad at all. Do they come with all the plug-ins too?
Define "all". They come with the standard plugins. If there are optional or third party plugins installed you need to track down the installers.

With simple plugins you can get away with dragging the old ones into the new computer's plugin folder, more complex ones like VIs that include sampels etc. may be a different matter. Its always better to get the installers and use this chance to do a full clean install. Also use this opportunity to update the plugins to the latest ones (that support that PT version).

Darryl