Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-26-2004, 03:00 PM

Default How do you work?

Just out of curiousity, how do you all work?

My Order of Opeerations consists of:

tracking, setting up the basic mix, then fine tuning all the instruments. I usually get a wicked drum mix first and build up from there, and bus all the drums to an aux fader... then I keep that around -6db, so that it leaves me 12 db of headroom for the rest of the mix. Occasionally I make other bus groups, rhythm guitars etc. but not always.

Another guy I have worked with on a few occasions tracks each piece, drums etc, then before moving onto the next eq's just about everything and does all his mixing as he goes along... he often runs out of headroom...

how do you all go about doing it?

Oh and just for fun, what do you all think of my plan? I bought a digi001 the week before it was to be discontinued, and now its kinda obsolete. So my plan is to trade it for an mbox and buy a digi002r, that way I have my main workstation on my comp with the 002r, then I can bring my mbox, monitors and firewire harddrive whe I go to my girlfriend's for mixing on her mac.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: How do you work?

aww man, I mix my stuff nearly the same way as you, except I find extremely subtle reverb applied to
the hihat mic or snare gives it a softer feel, etc, while I'm finding a nice eq setup

but I'm interested in what some of tha big dogs around here do it?!
Old 03-26-2004, 05:20 PM

Why wouldn't you trade the 001 for the 002r and take that with you to use. I don't see any point in an mbox and 002r. The 002r is plenty portable with the firewire connection, just grab the cable and box and just go. If her MAC isn't completely ancient it will have a firewire port. The 002r comes with both mac and pc versions.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:36 PM

A 002r is not portable if you have it in a rack (I would stick it in the same place I have my 001... I made a custom rack with a "hidden area" so that noone accidentally [bleep] with my settings,) and my mixer has at least 12 cables going to the 001 (8 direct i/o, 2 master, 2 monitor [I run everything thru my mixer so I have no latency]) plus any midi I happen to be using at the time. Unscrewing my rack and unplugging all the cables isn't a very hassle-free solution, and neither is taking my rack with me. Neither is taking my monitors with me, but I plan on grabbing another pair to replace my current set. Having my existing set at her place would rule.

And her mac is a G4... it's a decent machine.