Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Great software but...

Simple example...

I'm checking out Live 8 and PTLE 8 and make my actual project within these two DAWs.
KontaktPlayer2 with CHH Vol.2 some Instruments like M1, B4, Elektrik Piano, EzDrummer

Poorly seven tracks, three of them with audio.
Setting up my system 3 times at now according to Digi's preferences.

PTLE : never worked with 256 Samples, lost communications a lot of times
Live 8 : Running and up with a poor, poor Inspire 1394 (switching of Digi Rack003) and 256 sample buffer.

So, Digi, maybe, my system is not Digi "certified" and maybe my plugs like M1, KontaktPlayer2, Kontakt 3 are also not "certified" by Digi, my conclusion is after working six month with PTLE 8:
Poor performance, one way street and sometimes unstable (why?), don't answer with replies like "there's something wrong in your system" or "don't use this and that plug-in". Bullsh.... because Ableton Live is working with all the plugs I've bought. If you're working with audio only, PTLE is the best (I think) but with MIDI up to and over 50 percent it's not.

In the past, my first action has been to transfer a Logic project with up to 40 tracks to PTLE and it will not work.

And again, great software with a very useful workflow for me.

So, Digi, trash your RTAS, reduce your development to VST and / or AU, delete the lines of code with the wait loop within your audio engine, open your software for other audiodevices like RME (I miss them). I never upgrade to HD to get more performance.

I will not discuss about the folders "Digidesign Database", they are on my iPhone, iPod, TimeMachine... this is another ideology i never understood

And at now a frusted PTLE 8 user.....
Old 07-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Great software but...

i hear what you're saying, but here it is anyway -

there are alot of poorly coded 3rd party RTAS plugins. NI is INFAMOUS for plugins that suck with PT. as long as you stick to qualified RTAS plugins, you're good. wanna cry about it? complain to NI that an update for Battery/GR3/whatever STILL isn't out.

don't want DigiDB folders on your iphone/ipod/burned CDs, etc? dont have them connected and while PT is open. pretty simple.

my machine is fairly comparable to yours. i can track audio at 128 all day. i go to mix (with a good number of MIDI tracks too), i crank it up to 1024.... no problem.

yes, a properly configured and certified machine running certified plugs works like a champ. yes, there are rules to follow.

interfaces? that's legit. i wish they would just sell the software for $500 and tie it to an ilok so you can use any hardware you like.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 07-05-2009, 08:53 PM

I think, in my experience, one of the biggest Pro Tools performance-killers/crash-causers is plugin incompatibility. Yes, Pro Tools is more picky about it than Ableton and Logic, but, as you've stated, Pro Tools is pickier about everything in your system config, though not totally without reason.

It makes complete sense that it's difficult to get right--plugin developers have to code 4+ versions (RTAS, TDM, VST, AU, etc) and make them work on a number of different platforms.

From a development perspective, that sucks. And really, this prevents a lot of more unique, esoteric plugs from ever getting made.

Bottom line: new, standard, AES-style plugin format would help everyone, no?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Invest in some RAM.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 07-05-2009, 09:13 PM

No amount of RAM makes the NI stuff stable for me...

I'm running 10 GB in my Mac Pro
Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devkerr View Post
No amount of RAM makes the NI stuff stable for me...

I'm running 10 GB in my Mac Pro

I don't know about the NI stuff, I was mainly referring to this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsb1 View Post
PTLE : never worked with 256 Samples, lost communications a lot of times

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 AM

A look at the activity monitor results in .... my machine is waiting for something to work, in other case round about 4,5G of RAM is unused and PTLE used 120% of CPU power. My machine is powerful enough.

Yes, I would also pay Eur 500,- for an interface independend ProTools, as I've said, the software is great (for me).

And yes, one of the wars on the DAW market is the plugin technology war but please, no other, new "standard" (I don't hear anything about AES standard for plugins, so correct me). On most systems VST makes a great job.

While writing this mail, PT shows me in the upper left corner "saving backup" for about 10 to 15 seconds, within this time the app is freezed.

Next with Digibase folders. To prevent all problems with any DAW I would like to switch of my computer and record my guitar to the good old Tascam. No, Digi where's the problem, to configure the behaviour of this crappy thing. Before starting PTLE, pull out the iPhone, switch of the ethernet (TimeMachine), disable iDisk......it's a joke. Logic has no problem with a full installed machine with all the things I love, TimeMachine, Spotlight, Internet and so on (but Logic is not an option anymore)