Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-20-2021, 08:01 PM

Default Track Commit workflow question (commit to new playlist?)

Hi all,

This might be more of a feature request, but I'm curious if anyone has any tips on an efficient way to do this.

I was just using Melodyne to tidy up some vocals, and typically when I finish that kind of processing I like to print it to the track and remove the plugin. The way I do that now is to commit the track, then in the commit dialog I select the "do nothing" option for the source track, then I'll drag the tuned/committed clip onto the original track as a new playlist. That way I have any previous takes still available on other playlists if I need them but my main playlist is the comped and tuned vocal that will most likely be "the take".

I say this might be a feature request because I think in this scenario the most useful thing would be an option to "commit to new playlist" rather than to a new track - or alternatively to have the track's other playlists transfer over to the new ".cm" track....or another option would be if Melodyne worked as Audio Suite I could just render the playlist that way - but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts about a more efficient or faster way to accomplish this than my current workflow.

It's not a huge pain to do it the way I've been doing it honestly, but it seems like something that *could* be more streamlined and I'm always looking for new ways to make my workflow more efficient from people here on the DUC and elsewhere so I thought I'd see if anyone had any tips.

thanks!
Old 07-21-2021, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Track Commit workflow question (commit to new playlist?)

I do commit, deactivate and hide track. Don't want to have to think about what Playlist needs melodyne active.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 07:48 AM

Agreed that "commit to new playlist" would be very useful here.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-21-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Agreed that "commit to new playlist" would be very useful here.
...except you're sort of in danger of running the committed file through all the same plug-ins again unless you remember to bypass them. Not sure how useful it would be really. I agree with the above poster in that I keep all my untuned takes/comps on one track (as far as possible) and all the tuned ones on a corresponding track underneath.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
...except you're sort of in danger of running the committed file through all the same plug-ins again unless you remember to bypass them. Not sure how useful it would be really. I agree with the above poster in that I keep all my untuned takes/comps on one track (as far as possible) and all the tuned ones on a corresponding track underneath.
I think in my case that wouldn't really be an issue because I'm using the 'commit up to this insert' feature rather than committing the whole track - I don't think I mentioned that in my original post. So any plugins that might be inserted after Melodyne (which is the first insert) aren't being processed in the committed file anyway.

For me, once vocal tracking is done and we've settled on a final comp I'll tune that one (I don't tune all the other takes) and then do the commit/copy to new playlist thing. Personally I prefer having all the takes on a single track and I don't really worry about what playlists are tuned or not once I'm done (for one, I know only the comp is tuned, and if I do need to pull something from a different take I'm not really concerned whether or not it's been tuned as long as it works better than what was in the comp - but this doesn't happen often anyway). That's just my workflow though.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swethington View Post
I think in my case that wouldn't really be an issue because I'm using the 'commit up to this insert' feature rather than committing the whole track - I don't think I mentioned that in my original post. So any plugins that might be inserted after Melodyne (which is the first insert) aren't being processed in the committed file anyway.

For me, once vocal tracking is done and we've settled on a final comp I'll tune that one (I don't tune all the other takes) and then do the commit/copy to new playlist thing. Personally I prefer having all the takes on a single track and I don't really worry about what playlists are tuned or not once I'm done (for one, I know only the comp is tuned, and if I do need to pull something from a different take I'm not really concerned whether or not it's been tuned as long as it works better than what was in the comp - but this doesn't happen often anyway). That's just my workflow though.
Yes, makes sense - I'm certainly not against it being implemented if people think it's worthwhile