Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Default Uninstall / Reintsall procedure on 12.6.

Hi everyone. This may be dumb, but I'm ripping my hair out trying to find the correct process to reinstall PT as it hangs 80% of the time when opening. Would you be as kind as to point me in the right direction?

Other than that, will third party plug-ins have to be reinstalled or will a plug-in re-scan put them back in working order?

Thanks for helping a brother out and happy new year to all!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Uninstall / Reintsall procedure on 12.6.

As you are on Mac just drag the PT package to the trash from the application folder and reinstall.

Before reinstall make sure you trash preferences and databases and reinstall after that.

The plugins from 3rd pRty will still be there.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangha View Post
Hi everyone. This may be dumb, but I'm ripping my hair out trying to find the correct process to reinstall PT as it hangs 80% of the time when opening. Would you be as kind as to point me in the right direction?

Other than that, will third party plug-ins have to be reinstalled or will a plug-in re-scan put them back in working order?

Thanks for helping a brother out and happy new year to all!
First, what exactly is happening? When does Pro Tools hand on startup? What exactly do you see on the screen?

What other troubleshooting have you tried?

Trashing Prefs?

Manually moving out all third party plugins from the plugins folder... (do if Pro Tools is hanging while loading plugins).

You can just drag the Pro Tools app to the trash, but that will not for example clean out third party plugins (no Pro Tools uninstall will).

Hanging "80%" of the time is unusual. Are you sure it is not just say very slow loading plugins? If so do both the above things (remove plugins then trash prefs) Uninstall any anti-virus software. Hold down 'N' while Pro Tools is starting up and select Built-InOutput as the Pkayback engine when asked (does that now start up better?). Make sure the computer is fully optimized.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Hey you guys,

Thanks for your reply.

Darryl, I've tried everything and have had this issue for quite some time. Got in touch with support, before mine expired, and their final solution was a reinstall. I didn't bother, but now am starting a new album and need things to flow.

It indeed is a very strange hang, I click the PT icon on the Dock, and it bounces around for a while. Sometimes nothing will happen, sometimes PT "opens" without displaying the splash screen. If I scroll through open apps cmd+tab, PT appears, but if I select it it does nothing. What I usually do is, force quit and after 3-5 times of trying it finally opens. Very odd behaviour indeed. If you've every heard of antyhing similar your pointers will be much appreciated!
Old 01-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Things to do: try each in order until it works.

Be sure you are starting up Pro Tools without a session (sounds like you are).

Make sure the Pro Tools app you are launching is actually what you think. launch it directly from the application folder. (some folks end up with a mess of old/mixed installs).

Move all third party plugins out of the plugin folder.

Trash prefs (make sure you are following the instructions carefully).

Start up Pro Tools while holding down 'N' and select built-in output as the playback engine.

Drag Pro Tools to the trash and reinstall (do a clean new download of the installer).

Still does not work then your system is toast. Roll back to the last working backup, or grab a spare SSD or HDD, or a free partition on an existing drive and do an new OS install onto that and install Pro Tools and ILM on that and confirm it works OK) with built-in output before installing interface drivers and plugins etc. Do a full clean OS X/macOS install, do not use system migration assistant to move apps or drivers across, reinstall all those from scratch. Once that is all running and tested you can clone it onto the existing boot partition.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:04 AM

Hy Darryl,

thanks again. I've tried it all, and now even worse. Pro Tools won't launch. It used to launch eventually before, now it hangs every time upon launching. It's a very odd hang, so I've had a very hard time putting my finger on what causes the problem

I am on a mid-2009 MBP and am thinking of upgrading her to a SSD and 8GB RAM this coming week to see if this will help her performace somehow. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again, you've been of great help,
Old 01-08-2017, 02:05 AM

Id did forget to ask you what do you mean by install ILM?
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G. Allen View Post
I tried to delete a project, then my Pro Tools First would not open. I got two error messages, so I attempted to uninstall / reinstall. I still get the same two messages:

Could not create the TCE plug-in’s factory default file because the plug-in doesn’t support the current sample rate.

Could not create a new document because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/158351/ProTools/DFW/Views/UMenu.MacOS.mm", line 1624.
Please don't spam other user's threads like this. Create your own new thread for your problem (after searching if this is already a covered issue (and in the case of the ASSERT error it is, so be sure to Google search for past threads)).

And if you are having a problem with Pro Tools First you should likely post that in the Pro Tools First section of DUC.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 PM

Sorry, this is new to me. I didn't find the more appropriate thread the first time I looked.