Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 08-07-2012, 10:56 PM

Default Just installed Pro Tools 10. Neither native nor 3rd party plug-ins show up.

I just installed Pro Tools 10. Registered my iLok. Registered my Pro Tools, and updated to 10.2 (I did try it in 10.0 but no luck, so I updated thinking it would fix the problem).

Just to get this out of the way, I do realize that the Pro Tools plug-ins folder is "HD ->Library ->Application Support -> Digidesign -> Plug-ins." I have checked this folder, and verified that all of the .dpm plugins are there (AIR, BF, D-verb, Signal Generator, etc etc).

I open a new session (24 bit, 48kHz), create an audio track, and click on it's 'inserts' section. Nothing shows up, except "no insert," and "i/o." Not even the native plug-ins are being recognized.

To try and fix this, I restarted my comp many times and re-installed Pro Tools. Nothing has worked.

I come from Logic, so when something like this happens, I visit Logic's "Audio Units Manager" and scroll around to see if Logic is even recognizing the plugins. If it isn't, I can rescan my "Components" folder to see if it missed any. Does Pro Tools have something like this? Where I can set the plug-in root folder and re-scan the folder?

My Pro Tools is a student version, if that changes anything. The copy is registered, and the license is downloaded onto my iLok. When I open up a new session, everything seems fine, except that there are no plug-ins

What am I doing wrong here? Or what have I missed? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Just installed Pro Tools 10. Neither native nor 3rd party plug-ins show up.

And you are installing on what exact version of OS X? On what Mac? And you are trying to install what third party plugins? Installed how (from installers or are you dragging over files from past installs)? Are the Pro Tools installers on a DVD or from downloads? Were older versions of Pro Tools installed on this Mac? Has OS X been upgraded recently (from what?) or is this the version the Mac has been running for a while?

Any other unusual things happen during your install? tryign to put things in unusual places? Any error messages etc.?

Do you see the plugins folder scan during Pro Tools startup?

Have you tried the standard fix-all of deleting databases and trashing prefs?

Darryl
Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Just installed Pro Tools 10. Neither native nor 3rd party plug-ins show up.

Ok, so
- Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
- MacBookPro (Mid 2009)
- Third part plugins are: Native instrument's "Massive" and Arturia's "Minimoog." (but even the native plug-ins are'nt being recognized).
- Installed PT 10 off of the CD. I then downloaded the 10.2 update and installed that through the .dmg.
- No versions of Pro Tools were installed on this computer before.
- I upgraded from 10.5 (Leopard) to Snow Leopard (10.6) about 6 months ago.
- No error messages of any kind. First time I installed, I was using my browser, downloading things, etc. The second time, I didn't use any other applications and just let the installer run its thing. Again, no messages. Just said installation was complete. Opened up Pro Tools, and everything ran fine. There wasn't even a message stating that the plug-ins couldn't be located.
- I do see the plugins folder scan, but it skips right through to "Launching Pro Tools." No error messages.
- I did not delete any databases or anything, as I was not sure what to delete. Could that be the solution?

Thanks Darryl for the response.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMyEx View Post
Ok, so
- Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
- MacBookPro (Mid 2009)
- Third part plugins are: Native instrument's "Massive" and Arturia's "Minimoog." (but even the native plug-ins are'nt being recognized).
- Installed PT 10 off of the CD. I then downloaded the 10.2 update and installed that through the .dmg.
- No versions of Pro Tools were installed on this computer before.
- I upgraded from 10.5 (Leopard) to Snow Leopard (10.6) about 6 months ago.
- No error messages of any kind. First time I installed, I was using my browser, downloading things, etc. The second time, I didn't use any other applications and just let the installer run its thing. Again, no messages. Just said installation was complete. Opened up Pro Tools, and everything ran fine. There wasn't even a message stating that the plug-ins couldn't be located.
- I do see the plugins folder scan, but it skips right through to "Launching Pro Tools." No error messages.
- I did not delete any databases or anything, as I was not sure what to delete. Could that be the solution?

Thanks Darryl for the response.
Deleting prefs and databases and repairing disk permissions are described in the troubleshooting steps here Mac OS X Optimization and Troubleshooting Guide (along with all the optimizations you are supposed to do on you Mac - but those other optimizations are not related to this current issue).

So when the folder scans you see the names of he plugins being loaded?

How are you opening the session in Pro Tools? Not accidentally holding down the shift key in open dialogs? (that will disable plugins).

I have a feeling I have seen this before but my poor recollection is not helping. But deleting databases, prefs and repairing file permissions are worth a try.

Darryl
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 AM

- I do not see the plugin names being loaded. I only see "Loading Plug-ins," and then straight to "Launching Pro Tools."
- Not holding down any buttons/keys on start-up. I have loaded and re-opened Pro Tools about a hundred times, and still no fix.

I would delete databases, prefs, and whatnot, but I'm just afraid it that might damage Pro Tools in some way.
- Exactly what should I delete/ repair?
- Would there be any unintended side-effects to doing this?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMyEx View Post
- I do not see the plugin names being loaded. I only see "Loading Plug-ins," and then straight to "Launching Pro Tools."
- Not holding down any buttons/keys on start-up. I have loaded and re-opened Pro Tools about a hundred times, and still no fix.

I would delete databases, prefs, and whatnot, but I'm just afraid it that might damage Pro Tools in some way.
- Exactly what should I delete/ repair?
- Would there be any unintended side-effects to doing this?
Do exactly all the steps what are in the link I sent you for deleting preferences, deleting databases and repairing disk permissions. This will not "damage Pro Tools". Worse you would lose some settings that have been saved. But what this is deleting is some of the storage of plugin info/parameters (the stuff that Pro Tools really needs it will just recreate), the exact stuff that could be corrupted here and causing strange problems wirh plugins. Your Pro Tools is pretty useless as is so I'm not sure I'd be too worried either way.

Darryl
Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 AM

K I will do this, and report back tomorrow after my classes. Thanks again, Darryl.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Avid

Hi,

You may want to try creating a new user account, logging in as this new user, and then checking to see if the plug-ins show up. If they are in the plug-ins folder but are showing in the inserts in Pro Tools this may be something at an account level in your original account that is not getting sorted out by trashing prefs and repairing permissions. If the plug-in are there in the new account you may want to consider migrating to the new account.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM

I'll see if migrating to a new account will fix the problem. If that doesn't work, I'll just call customer support and see what they have to say.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Just installed Pro Tools 11. Guitar Rig 5.2 Plug-in doesn't show up.

Hi there, I'm having trouble getting my Guitar Rig software to show up as a plug-in in PT. It worked before, but a few months ago I had to re-install PT and it hasn't shown up since. The native plug-ins are visible and operational, though.

Spec-wise, I'm using a Macbook Pro w/ a 2.8 GHz processor, running OS X 10.9.2. My interface is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and I'm using Pro Tools 11. I'm also using an external hard drive, an OWC Mercury Elite AL Pro, connected with a FW 800 cable.

I've already checked Mac HD>Library>Application Support>Digidesign>Plug-ins, and Guitar Rig 5 is in there. I also checked the version, saw it needed to be updated, and did so, to version 5.2. However, it still isn't showing up in PT, and I'm not sure what the next step is.

Any help would be much appreciated!