Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Timecode question...basic

So...somebody sends me a Hi Res mp4, I import into PT HD9, do my thing and then I'm going to send back a Stereo Wav for them. Is Timecode automatically imbedded in the file or....what do I need to do?

Thanks!~
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Timecode question...basic

x Picture timecode has to be added manually. I prefer it burned into the image.
x ProTools might have trouble opening .mp4 files. Try adding the mpeg stream to a .mov container instead before adding to ProTools.
x To embed timecode into the exported audio of ProTools I usually go to File>Export>*AAF/OMF… I bet there are other ways too.

The answers above might help you. But I am not that sure about what you're asking. Care to elaborate?

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free
Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 PM

TC is not embedded. There's a timestamp, but I'm not sure how much worth this is outside PT.

I'd either insert a "beep" two seconds before the first frame of action, or you start the mix with the first frame of action. However, I always inform the recipient where my file starts. That way there's no room for confusion.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 PM

A Broadcast wav file has Timecode that is read by Avid at least.
FWIW for an export like this I make sure I use the same start point for the export as the original MP4. This allows the video editor to use the TC if they can or edit my mix into their timeline at the same point as they originally exported the MP4 from.
Andrew
Old 02-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Risberg View Post
x Picture timecode has to be added manually. I prefer it burned into the image.
x ProTools might have trouble opening .mp4 files. Try adding the mpeg stream to a .mov container instead before adding to ProTools.
x To embed timecode into the exported audio of ProTools I usually go to File>Export>*AAF/OMF… I bet there are other ways too.

The answers above might help you. But I am not that sure about what you're asking. Care to elaborate?
Thanks for the reply…PT does import the mp4 fine. I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing it right for sending it back to the video guy but the vid I'm getting is the precise length so I figured if I started at the beginning it would line up fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
TC is not embedded. There's a timestamp, but I'm not sure how much worth this is outside PT.

I'd either insert a "beep" two seconds before the first frame of action, or you start the mix with the first frame of action. However, I always inform the recipient where my file starts. That way there's no room for confusion.
Okay thanks…it's all starting at the beginning. They might change some graphics but the timecode is supposed to be the same where they do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAction View Post
A Broadcast wav file has Timecode that is read by Avid at least.
FWIW for an export like this I make sure I use the same start point for the export as the original MP4. This allows the video editor to use the TC if they can or edit my mix into their timeline at the same point as they originally exported the MP4 from.
Andrew
Yeah…I'm doing that, I'm just trying to get a handle on the Timecode thing & how it relates to me. Thanks for the replies.