How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2015, 11:58 PM

Default Pro Tools 8.0 LE Uninstall in Yosemite

Hi Guys,

I have purchased Pro Tools Crossgrade from LE so I can install version 12 of Pro Tools and with Yosemite on my iMac I can't use the uninstall in Pro Tools 8.0 so I can remove it before upgrade. I am working on a project at the moment and don't want to uninstall my plugins and settings. I am assuming I have to manually uninstall version 8? Can someone talk me through this please?

Also should I just install version 12 or 11 then 12 with upgrade?

Thankyou.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.0 LE Uninstall in Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach215 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have purchased Pro Tools Crossgrade from LE so I can install version 12 of Pro Tools and with Yosemite on my iMac I can't use the uninstall in Pro Tools 8.0 so I can remove it before upgrade. I am working on a project at the moment and don't want to uninstall my plugins and settings. I am assuming I have to manually uninstall version 8? Can someone talk me through this please?

Also should I just install version 12 or 11 then 12 with upgrade?

Thankyou.
This tutorial had been posted once for this purpose by one of the mods here. It will work for LE8 as well.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ools-Mavericks

You may mind that you will not get the same plugins automatically in PT12 like you had in LE8.
Means there might be missing a bunch of it when you open your LE8 made projects with PT12 then.
Since PT11 there has been used a completely new plugin/VI format in Pro Tools which is AAX64bit,
no RTAS anymore. Means, PT11/12 are not compatible with any RTAS plugins/VIs anymore.

So, I would strongly recommend to find and save all your custom made plugin/VI settings and presets
before uninstalling LE8 and installing PT12.
Most of the default Pro Tools plugins/VI have been translated to AAX64bit by Avid and therefore will be
back in your sessions in PT12 unlike most of the 3rd party stuff.
For all your 3rd party plugins/VIs you will have to check the manufacturers websites for AAX64bit versions,
download and install it like they were new plugins.
Some manufacturers are providing AAX64bit as a free update, for some you will have to pay again.
Better check this all out before installing your new stuff!

As for installing 11, no, you definitely even should not install 11 first! Just look into your product section
in your Avid account, find the latest version of PT12 (12.2.1), the AIR Instruments and the Effects bundles,
download and install it.
So PT11 and 12 are separate apps and installers, both are full versions.

Finally let me recommend you to perform a clean install of your whole system as soon as your current
projects will be finished. It will guarantee you a much better, much more stable Pro Tools performance
in the long run.

The best of success to you.

Last edited by VRW; 09-30-2015 at 04:09 AM.