Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-11-2022, 09:39 AM

Default M1 and PT.....11.3?!

Hello all,

I've recently decided to get back into music production and have upgraded my steam-powered Macbook (LONG overdue) from a 2013 model running on High Sierra to a 2021 M1 Max running on OSMonterey.

Obviously Pro Tools 11 is extremely old, which is what I had used on my previous Macbook, so I will be purchasing PT 2021 (if that's the most up to date).

From that point on, can anyone advise if this will work simply to record audio and programme MIDI?

I don't do video editing or anything whatsoever, other than audio recording on PT.

I understand that PT isn't supported on Monterey, but does that mean it won't work? Or will it work with limited features?
By work, I mean will it load up my old .ptx sessions?
I have sessions with AAX plug-ins and sessions without any whatsoever (raw audio)l

I'm not even close to figuring out if my Waves and Native Instruments plug-ins will work on PT2021 yet, I'm only at the stage of trying to figure out if I can get away with Monterey, or if I will need to revert the Macbook to Big Sur (hopefully not, I've just moved 50GB of data via airdrop from my old Macbook to the new, but oh well. If I can get any version of PT purchased and working (doing the basics) with my old PT sessions, then so be it.

Hoping for any advice from anyone with better knowledge than me (which wouldn't be hard as I'm WAY out of touch in the music production game) on what they would do.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:05 PM

Default Re: M1 and PT.....11.3?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtersandfolklore View Post
Hello all,

I've recently decided to get back into music production and have upgraded my steam-powered Macbook (LONG overdue) from a 2013 model running on High Sierra to a 2021 M1 Max running on OSMonterey.

Obviously Pro Tools 11 is extremely old, which is what I had used on my previous Macbook, so I will be purchasing PT 2021 (if that's the most up to date).

From that point on, can anyone advise if this will work simply to record audio and programme MIDI?

I don't do video editing or anything whatsoever, other than audio recording on PT.

I understand that PT isn't supported on Monterey, but does that mean it won't work? Or will it work with limited features?
By work, I mean will it load up my old .ptx sessions?
I have sessions with AAX plug-ins and sessions without any whatsoever (raw audio)l

I'm not even close to figuring out if my Waves and Native Instruments plug-ins will work on PT2021 yet, I'm only at the stage of trying to figure out if I can get away with Monterey, or if I will need to revert the Macbook to Big Sur (hopefully not, I've just moved 50GB of data via airdrop from my old Macbook to the new, but oh well. If I can get any version of PT purchased and working (doing the basics) with my old PT sessions, then so be it.

Hoping for any advice from anyone with better knowledge than me (which wouldn't be hard as I'm WAY out of touch in the music production game) on what they would do.
There is currently no version of Pro Tools that will run on that laptop. the M1Max needs Monterey and PT has issues (like none of the Avid Compete Bundle works at all). You can not downgrade the os on that laptop. Hopefully by the end of next month there will be a pt 2022.3 that works on Monterey.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:02 AM

PT runs on Monterey, it's just not without problems.
Agree that Avid Complete Plugin Bundle doesn't work at all.
Agree that you cannot downgrade Monterey to Big Sur on M1 Max or M1 Pro.

Plenty of threads here with people happily running M1 Max/Pro with PT 2021.x but don't expect everything to work perfectly (e.g. HDX chassis, control surfaces, video).

Can't tell you whether NI or other plugins work - do a search on their forums or here, there are lots of threads on the subject of Monterey.

File compatibility info here: (it's a bit out of date) https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ility/en353093

Generally, you can open older versions of PT files with new PT, but if you then go back to the earlier version of PT you will lose some features/functions. [One of the biggest advantages of PT, IMHO.]
This is useful (although also a bit out of date). https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...tools-sessions

Dominic
Old 02-12-2022, 08:13 AM

The replacement of my bricked MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz i7 quad core has truly turned out to be nightmarish. After an Apple financed replacement of graphics, motherboard and keyboard (per class action suit against Apple); the laptop again showed signs of failure last summer.I began looking for a Mac laptop to replace. I scoured the blogs: which Mac produced the least amount of heat? The least amount of fan noise? NO WAY was I going to spend any amount, unless I could find one that had both significantly LESS heat and noise. Then, just as my i7 died it's second and final death, there appeared the M1 Air!!! In Nov of 2021, I bought 2!! One for my wife, an Art Teacher; and one for my daughter. She wouldn't need it til the summer. I could use it; and hopefully the new 14" and rumored 16" Apple silicon pro laptops would come out! The M1 Air running Big Sur is spectacular as a Pro Tools machine. NO FAN!!!! But there's only one problem. As I spent months using it, I only grew in anticipation re the arrival of the rumored Apple Silicon Pro Laptops. A MagSafe!!! More ports!!! YES!!!! Using the Air was frustrating. Dongles, hubs, extra cables and adapters, Charging while using. ETCETERA!!

But then, after being delayed from the summer til October, They came!! Pro Tools and Big Sur were already qualified. Surely, this would be seamless! I ordered within MINUTES of the AppleStore opening after the big reveal. On Nov 1, I received from Apple via UPS, a 16" M1 Pro, 32gb ram, 2 tb SSD ... DOA ... Yes ... Dead on Arrival! Bad graphics. Within 24hrs, black screen. Apple wanted to blame UPS, but the package was HAND-delivered w/pristine packaging. That was Nov 1. BTW, Avid I assume, was already diligently working to have Pro Tools running on these new, highly anticipated machines. I just had to wait for my AppleCare Plus replacement. Apple was quick to answer the phone, but tediously slow to act OR provide real, cogent answers as to WHY my replacement was taking so long. I got the best info from Mac Rumours and Apple Insider; the delays were widespread.

My experience was so frustrating and tedious, I can no longer recommend buying an Apple product unseen and untested. I returned the defective laptop within 1 hour of receiving the shipping label. It took Apple from Nov 2 to Dec 6 to "immediately" replace my DOA laptop. There were delays, miscommunication on their part, and a period of time where after languishing in Shanghai for ten days, it disappeared. Completely.

And now, THIS!!! Both Avid and Universal Audio (and others-but these two are the supposed "juggernauts" of the industry) are behaving as if these new laptops came in out of the blue. Apple, right now, has released Monterey 12.2.1, and is seeding Monterey 12.3 to developers. On the other hand, Avid and UA are approaching four months since the laptops shipped! I have to believe they were seeded the beta Monterey OS at least a month before. So that's FIVE MONTHS!!

My options? Buy an intel MacBook Pro that runs Big Sur? Or forget the mobility and buy an M1 iMac w/ 8GPU to get the two extra USB C ports? Or the M1 Mini and a monitor? Some companies such as SoundBlade (Sonic Studios) decided no, to hell w/ converting to 64bit. If you want to continue to use their product, "buy an old intel mini that runs a 32 bit OS." Yup. They actually said that ...

Five months. Gee. It must be difficult. Or they must be short staffed. Or maybe it was the holidays. Or the Corona Virus. Or the industry is dying. Or the people who actually care have all quit and gone to Presonus. But the answer from both Avid and UA is, "We're working on it. We'll let you know. Later. Sometime in the future." My question is, if they finally do qualify UA and Pro Tools to run w/Monterey, will it run on Monterey 12? 12.1? 12.2?

This M1 Pro machine is a beast though, I gotta admit. ToonTrack, Davinci Resolve 17, run natively. Noiseless .... Nice!!! Maybe one day I can start up my Pro Tools sessions? Maybe?

Or am I dreaming .....

Last edited by TimothyJohn; 02-12-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post
The replacement of my bricked MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz i7 quad core has truly turned out to be nightmarish. After an Apple financed replacement of graphics, motherboard and keyboard (per class action suit against Apple); the laptop again showed signs of failure last summer.I began looking for a Mac laptop to replace. I scoured the blogs: which Mac produced the least amount of heat? The least amount of fan noise? NO WAY was I going to spend any amount, unless I could find one that had both significantly LESS heat and noise. Then, just as my i7 died it's second and final death, there appeared the M1 Air!!! In Nov of 2021, I bought 2!! One for my wife, an Art Teacher; and one for my daughter. She wouldn't need it til the summer. I could use it; and hopefully the new 14" and rumored 16" Apple silicon pro laptops would come out! The M1 Air running Big Sur is spectacular as a Pro Tools machine. NO FAN!!!! But there's only one problem. As I spent months using it, I only grew in anticipation re the arrival of the rumored Apple Silicon Pro Laptops. A MagSafe!!! More ports!!! YES!!!! Using the Air was frustrating. Dongles, hubs, extra cables and adapters, Charging while using. ETCETERA!!

But then, after being delayed from the summer til October, They came!! Pro Tools and Big Sur were already qualified. Surely, this would be seamless! I ordered within MINUTES of the AppleStore opening after the big reveal. On Nov 1, I received from Apple via UPS, a 16" M1 Pro, 32gb ram, 2 tb SSD ... DOA ... Yes ... Dead on Arrival! Bad graphics. Within 24hrs, black screen. Apple wanted to blame UPS, but the package was HAND-delivered w/pristine packaging. That was Nov 1. BTW, Avid I assume, was already diligently working to have Pro Tools running on these new, highly anticipated machines. I just had to wait for my AppleCare Plus replacement. Apple was quick to answer the phone, but tediously slow to act OR provide real, cogent answers as to WHY my replacement was taking so long. I got the best info from Mac Rumours and Apple Insider; the delays were widespread.

My experience was so frustrating and tedious, I can no longer recommend buying an Apple product unseen and untested. I returned the defective laptop within 1 hour of receiving the shipping label. It took Apple from Nov 2 to Dec 6 to "immediately" replace my DOA laptop. There were delays, miscommunication on their part, and a period of time where after languishing in Shanghai for ten days, it disappeared. Completely.

And now, THIS!!! Both Avid and Universal Audio (and others-but these two are the supposed "juggernauts" of the industry) are behaving as if these new laptops came in out of the blue. Apple, right now, has released Monterey 12.2.1, and is seeding Monterey 12.3 to developers. On the other hand, Avid and UA are approaching four months since the laptops shipped! I have to believe they were seeded the beta Monterey OS at least a month before. So that's FIVE MONTHS!!

My options? Buy an intel MacBook Pro that runs Big Sur? Or forget the mobility and buy an M1 iMac w/ 8GPU to get the two extra USB C ports? Or the M1 Mini and a monitor? Some companies such as SoundBlade (Sonic Studios) decided no, to hell w/ converting to 64bit. If you want to continue to use their product, "buy an old intel mini that runs a 32 bit OS." Yup. They actually said that ...

Five months. Gee. It must be difficult. Or they must be short staffed. Or maybe it was the holidays. Or the Corona Virus. Or the industry is dying. Or the people who actually care have all quit and gone to Presonus. But the answer from both Avid and UA is, "We're working on it. We'll let you know. Later. Sometime in the future." My question is, if they finally do qualify UA and Pro Tools to run w/Monterey, will it run on Monterey 12? 12.1? 12.2?

This M1 Pro machine is a beast though, I gotta admit. ToonTrack, Davinci Resolve 17, run natively. Noiseless .... Nice!!! Maybe one day I can start up my Pro Tools sessions? Maybe?

Or am I dreaming .....
I’m not justifying it at all but this in nothing new with Avid’s compatibility schedule. Last year Big Sur compatibility didn’t arrive until v 2020.3 at the last day of March. For decades, this has been an issue, especially when Apple releases new computers in the fall along with an OS upgrade. There have been multiple times in the past when it was impossible to buy a new Mac model and have it be approved to work with Pro Tools in the Oct to March timeframe. SOP.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:15 PM

Thanks everyone that replied, that was more helpful than I could’ve hoped for.
I went from a laptop that couldn’t keep up, to a laptop that’s a wee bit ahead.

I’m going to purchase Pro Tools (for the first time since 2012…a lot has changed I see!) as I’ve now tried Logic and I just can’t say that I like it that much.

I understand getting a PT licence for 12 month periods at a time means (for the time-being) that I won’t have access to the Avid Complete Plug-In bundle, but that was never in my sights anyway. I just happened to have always used Pro-Tools and far prefer it to Cubase or Logic.

My main reason for sticking with PT is the basics. Recording audio and MIDI with whichever plug-ins may work for the time-being’ knowing that they will all work later this year. It seems from the comments that Pro Tools DOES run on Monterey, so that’s good enough for me for the time-being.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJohn View Post

Or am I dreaming .....
Funnily enough, I ordered the very Macbook I'm speaking about here at early December and it got broke "in transit". I read elsewhere that Apple were not very helpful over the phone. The woman was reluctant to tell me the truth (it got broke in transit, supposedly anyway). Eventually she told me and I conceded "Oh well, these things happen". She then turned her un-pin-pointable accent to a strong American and said "Oh my god, I was dreading telling you the truth! What's your secret?!"

The Apple order status update then changed from December until MARCH.

After a couple of weeks it changed back until mid-January.
No word, no e-mail, no support. It just changed (I was checking and refreshing the order page constantly) and alas, it arrived on it's (re)scheduled date.

I have to admit, it's an absolute machine. Silence isn't as quiet.
I just need to buy a Pro Tools licence now.
I hated the dongle/USB for my old licence.

I see now that they have cloud iLok.

Can anyone answer my question (having read my story ) if I can just buy 12 months of Pro Tools and it will automatically update to Pro Tools...2022?? (Is that the next one?)
Old 02-18-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
There have been multiple times in the past when it was impossible to buy a new Mac model and have it be approved to work with Pro Tools in the Oct to March timeframe. SOP.
So is it April when Pro Tools normally release updates etc. to cater OS updates then? Is that the yearly benchmark?
Old 02-18-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtersandfolklore View Post
So is it April when Pro Tools normally release updates etc. to cater OS updates then? Is that the yearly benchmark?
Last year it was the 2021.3 release that added Big Sur compatibility, which came out in October of 2020.