Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM

Default Home Studio

Hi, first let me apologize if this is the wrong section also I would like to apologize if this is a FAQ.

I would like to start charging people for home recording. Recording and mixing.
I was thinking about charging 30 bucks an hour is this too much or cheap?
Type of music I would be working with is Hip-hop, Rap, RnB. The Quality of my music I think is okay. ex. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10489204

Hardware:
M-audio fast track MkII
Audio Technica AT2020
Mackie MR5's
Keyrig 49
Aurlex pads and Foam
iMac i3 3.06ghz 8GB Ram
OWC Elite Al-Pro

Software:
Pro tools 9
Reason 5

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reggie,
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Home Studio

This probably is not the right place.

No one will be able to honestly tell you whether $30/hour is the right amount. Figure out what you need as far as inflow and how much your clients are willing to spend and then do some math. Establishing a business is hard to do.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Thank you. can some one point me in the right direction.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Reg View Post
Thank you. can some one point me in the right direction.
I would check out the "General Discussion" and "Employment" forums HERE.

As far as getting an idea of what to charge, it should be like any other business.

1. establish a budget

How much do you need to spend to run your studio? What is your target for income after expenses? How many hours can you work?

2. understand your target market

Identify your potential clients. Try to understand either what they are paying now for services or what they are willing to pay for new services they are not paying for now. Figure out how to reach them and let them know they need you.

3. hope luck is on your side and decide if it is worth it

It is not easy to run a business. People complain. People don't pay. People don't show up. People do not spread praise but often spread disappointment.

4. draw up a plan

Write up a business plan and determine if your plan is feasible.

Hope this helps. Good luck and hope it works out.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Is there anyone else in your area doing what you want to do for a similar price? As with any business you have to be concerned about competition. If you are offering an 'okay' sound for $30 but the studio across town is offering a 'great' sound for $25, it will be harder for you to get clients.

Maybe you can offer an introductory 'package' for first time customers that saves them some money, and then see if they come back and pay your regular rate. Maybe 5 hours for $99 bucks or something... if they are really happy with your work I bet they will come back...
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM

I just join this forum a couple of days ago and I already love it thanks for everything. :)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 AM

I would also recommend that you invest in some high end mics and pres.
I found that people are willing to spend money when they can record vocals fo example on a nice mic and pre that they dont have.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickroadstudio View Post
I would also recommend that you invest in some high end mics and pres.
I found that people are willing to spend money when they can record vocals fo example on a nice mic and pre that they dont have.
This is a great suggestion.
Your setup is pretty much similar to what a 100,000 home users already have, therefore begging the question of why would they pay for something they already have?
If one has twenty years of experience in audio engineering/production, you can sell that. If you don't, then you HAVE to have a draw that your potential clients don't have. Whether it's software, mics, outboard gear, talent, a great recording space or free Cheetos...
Save your bucks, get an Audio Technica 4033C/L, Shure SM7B or a Neumann TLM102... and a decent channel strip (Presonus Eureka, ART Voice Channel are good starting points for low-budget home studios). The 2020 is a nice little mic, but you'll need something a bit more high-end to draw clients in, I think.