Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 05:42 PM

Default PTF locks up interface

I finally invested in a nice mic and audio interface, in this case a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen. The installation of the hardware and software went great, no issues. The Focusrite Control app properly controls the interface and everything.
But when I open PTF, create a track, and press record, the interface locks up (for lack of a better term). It still shows in Device Manager, but the interface isn't found by the control app anymore and no audio is recorded by PTF. The only way out of this is to unplug/replug the USB cable or restart the PC.
I have confirmed the interface works fine with Audacity, for what that is worth.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

-=Zzedly=-
Old 10-09-2021, 05:57 PM

Default Re: PTF locks up interface

If you are using the Scarlett as your default Windows audio device, don’t. Put the Windows audio device back to the onboard I/O so that whatever software you run has exclusive control of the Scarlett.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-10-2021, 03:06 PM

Default Re: PTF locks up interface

Thanks for the response. I tried that but to no avail. On the bright side, I may have solve the issue anyway.
The cause may have been one of two things:

1) I disabled the "Exclusive Mode" options in the Windows sound settings for both playback and recording, apply, OK, and restarted. I tried this before with no luck, but without restarting. Maybe restarting was necessary, even with the "apply"?

2) The brand new, my-tee-fine USB-C cable from IKEA didn't seem to agree with the system once I started trying to record. Once I swapped it out with the one that came with the interface (yeah, I know), it worked.

Thanks for being available and willing to help a n00b!

-=Zzedly=-