Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Record the mix on an audio track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
This is an Internet myth that has been floating around audio forums for years. The internal bounce to a stereo track and BTD will null out which means there is no difference in quality.

Shane

I heard that for recording is another engine that does that.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
This is an Internet myth that has been floating around audio forums for years. The internal bounce to a stereo track and BTD will null out which means there is no difference in quality.

Shane
Here's my question though, (sorry for the hijack although maybe you all will be interested.) Has the master buss improved over the years to the point that I thought it would be better if you have a 003 to go out adat to 16 tracks to a d/a of your choice to a nice analog console back into PT with 2 tracks. EDIT: I don't have a 003 and I just realized that it maybe only 8 channels through adat but still if you let another d/a do the summing wouldn't that be an advantage?

Old 02-27-2010, 03:19 AM

When i was watching a tutorial awhile back.. the guys showed you how to set up your templates to have a Mix down track... and he mentioned it was a good idea so that when you are done with the last take of your mix for the day, you will already have a quick mix down to burn to CD for the client... instead of waiting another length of the song.

I don't use it... And i don't have anything better then the Digi002r for converters.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
When i was watching a tutorial awhile back.. the guys showed you how to set up your templates to have a Mix down track... and he mentioned it was a good idea so that when you are done with the last take of your mix for the day, you will already have a quick mix down to burn to CD for the client... instead of waiting another length of the song.

I don't use it... And i don't have anything better then the Digi002r for converters.
Thats why I always dig the Masterlink. I wish I had one myself.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
Here's my question though, (sorry for the hijack although maybe you all will be interested.) Has the master buss improved over the years to the point that I thought it would be better if you have a 003 to go out adat to 16 tracks to a d/a of your choice to a nice analog console back into PT with 2 tracks. EDIT: I don't have a 003 and I just realized that it maybe only 8 channels through adat but still if you let another d/a do the summing wouldn't that be an advantage?
Thatz pretty much what I said

& I use a Masterlink some of the time myself but just to print... It takes a min for it to burn CDs for ref purposes because it still has to render the file so its almost like a bounce...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Thatz pretty much what I said

& I use a Masterlink some of the time myself but just to print... It takes a min for it to burn CDs for ref purposes because it still has to render the file so its almost like a bounce...
But you're summing down in the box. What I meant was only summing down to stems 16 wide. Then taking those stems into a high end analog console and say go into a masterlink. That's just one example though. Also this is just a thought as I'm just wondering about the quality of the summing of the master mix engine in PT. NEW EDIT: SORRY GOT IT!. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like I will be using an aurora v16 via adat and the fat lady sings.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM

@Caruso, u know that u can't use all 16 i/o with the Aurora; U will only be able to use 8 but yeah, summing to a console depending on what it is can definitely be beneficial...& not that it'd make much a matter but u'd be going into the ML analog coming of the console if its a true analog console...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
@Caruso, u know that u can't use all 16 i/o with the Aurora; U will only be able to use 8 but yeah, summing to a console depending on what it is can definitely be beneficial...& not that it'd make much a matter but u'd be going into the ML analog coming of the console if its a true analog console...
You are correct sir! It would be 16 modules of neve even though I only have 8 outputs.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
But you're summing down in the box. What I meant was only summing down to stems 16 wide. Then taking those stems into a high end analog console and say go into a masterlink. That's just one example though. Also this is just a thought as I'm just wondering about the quality of the summing of the master mix engine in PT. NEW EDIT: SORRY GOT IT!. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like I will be using an aurora v16 via adat and the fat lady sings.
So am I missing something here? I have apogee rosetta 800 running adat in adat out loop. I have 8 good preamps hooked to the dsub analog in (on rosetta) and then dsub out to digi003 ch 1-2. I use adat1-8 channels to record thus completing a/d conversion. Then I mix in the box and come out of the digi003 (clock set to external and master bus running through apogee adat) to presonus central station then through JBL lsr8's.

Are you saying I am not getting the true conversion when bouncing down since I am not summing through another analog console?

Now i am confused or need drugs

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale1 View Post
I know but i've read on a forum and i know someone (a producer) who record the mix first (for better quality i think).
If there is a diff, only a dog could hear it.
Maybe a Scottish Terrier.

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389