Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2001, 07:33 AM

Default A true Digidesign Solution for Laptops

I am a firm believer that Pro Tools is the only way to go if you are looking for a DAW. I have the Pro Tools LE and I love it. My concern is with using Pro Tools on a laptop. I would like to be able to work on a mix on a
plane while taking a trip. I want to know if
there is a solution in the works to accomplish this. I am not talking about Pro Tools Free. I want more than 8 audio tracks.
I want to be able to mix at least 24 tracks of audio along with Midi tracks. The other
DAW software packages out there have ways of
recording, mixing and processing on a laptop
that are very effective. I don't want to see
Digidesign give away business because they
don't have a solution that is up to par with
the other companies out there. I am a very
dedicated believer in Digidesign. I know
that there are others out there that feel the
same way about this. If there was a solution
out there I would definitely buy it. I would
also encourage others to do so. Don't drop
the ball Digidesign.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:46 AM

Default Re: A true Digidesign Solution for Laptops

I don't think it's allowed to use laptop on a plane.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:12 AM

Laptop producers will have to find a way to fit a few hardrives in there first...
Old 05-24-2001, 09:32 AM

There are a couple of ways you can do this.You can contact your Laptop manufacturer to find out if they make what they call a Docking station with at least one PCI slot for your Laptop, then if they do get one and stick an AudiomediaIII card in there. The reason being is, in order to use Digidesign software, you need Digidesign hardware, unless you use Protools free, which I know you don't want. I use that set up myself with my dell laptop with the docking station that has two PCI slots and a SCSI port, with the AudiomediaII card installed in one, and I'm able to mix all 24 tracks using PTLE. The second solution is to get a MAGMA PCI slot expansion unit from magma.com, and you will be able to add either the Digi001 card or the AmiIII card in one slot and access PTLE. The first solution might be cheaper, but None will be comfortable in an airplane, because some Docking stations are too big. But you can use them for portable Location recording. Good luck and happy recording.
Old 05-24-2001, 10:20 AM

er.... did anyone understand the question/request? A portable, internal solution was the objective. What could one possibly do with a bunch of PCI boxes and extra ****e on a flight?! And yes a laptop can be used on an aircraft while cruising ... when was the last time you flew? The G3 powerbook supports excellent internal storage solutions such as the removable VST drives. Sorry for the hostility, but this damned site is so full of superfluous if not erroneous information that it just makes me mad occasionally. I'm probably in err myself posting something so trivial, but geez! Is this Playskools or Pro Tools?
Old 05-24-2001, 11:18 AM

UGH!

Planes are so loud to me I can barely watch a DVD on my laptop let alone MIX!

Old 05-24-2001, 11:25 AM

scenaria, answer the question directly or you are going to get chewed out!!!! ::snicker::

If you think you can get 24 tracks going off of a 5400rpm hardrive with a few plugins, i'd like to see it.

i don't know if digidesign can create miracles...

BUT!!!!!!!! I'm wondering if digidesign has any firewire solutions/support up their sleaves. I think you'd have to wait to see if that happens before this is ever a reality.
Old 05-24-2001, 02:23 PM

OK. I'm an ass. I think I had too much caffeine this morning. I don't suppose being so brash helps anyone out, does it? Sorry. I'll take it out on my cat next time.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHipHop:
If you think you can get 24 tracks going off of a 5400rpm hardrive with a few plugins, i'd like to see it.
Fairlight can now do 48 x 96k tracks off one drive!

[email protected]

"If I cannot live with myself, there must be two of me" Eckhart Tolle
Old 05-25-2001, 06:49 AM

I appreciate the suggestions and I am going to try them to see what works for me. I do have another question that I hope that someone can tell me. After I have everything
recorded into Pro Tools on the laptop can I disconnect it from the hardware and just do the mix using just the laptop? I have an 650
MHz IBM 600E right now but I am trying to acquire an Apple Titanium PowerBook G4. In my opinion, I think that Macs are the only way to go for audio recording and processing.
And for anyone out there that is a believer in PCs then don't jump down my throat. I work at IBM and I do PC support so I have a bases for my opinion.

[This message has been edited by scoobdaproduca (edited May 25, 2001).]