Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 11-16-2021, 05:07 PM

Default pro tools HD updates and bit depths

hey guys. I have a very "practical" knowledge of pro tools as ive been using it for years, but I struggle with the technical/scientific side of things. some plug-ins that I want to use only run using 64-bit processing but when I check what processing I am able to use I only have 24 and 32 bit available. Is there a way to update my system to allow me to use those plug ins? and if so, what would be the best way to go about doing it?
right now I am using a late 2015 iMac, omni rack with native thunderbolt cord, pro tools HD 2018.3.0 version.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:55 PM

Default Re: pro tools HD updates and bit depths

Hi Welcome to DUC

You are confusing apples and oranges, but maybe more importantly why are you worrying about stuff. This should just work.

The 24 bit fixed and 32-bit float refer to sample word length. There is really no reason not to use 32-bit float and give yourself a lot more headroom when saving sessions.

The common 64-bit terminology use with AAX-64 plugins is referring to the address space on the processor that the plugin is able to address. Since Pro Tools now is 64-bit, all AAX plugins need to be 64-bit as well. If they are not they won't run in modern Pro Tools, there is nothing you can do, they either run or they don't. The version of Pro Tools you have *is* 64-bit.

Many plugins will use 64-bit floating point processing (and have even when only supporting 32-bit memory address space), all modern processors support that. It's different than the address space, but again you don't need to do anything the plugin is written to do this. And it's irrelevant what bit depth samples you feed the DAW/plugins the numeric processing in the plugin should be the same.

So again you don't do anything, well if anything you should be picking 32-bit float for session audio file formats.

What exact problem are you having what exactly what plugins? You may well have plugins that need later than 2018.3. But that will have nothing to do with bit depth or memory address space. If so the plugin vendors will tell you the version of Pro Tools supported and you may need to upgrade Pro Tools.