Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-09-2022, 11:08 AM

Default Re: A Question For M1 Users

Thanks, guys. Not being a Mac user, I need to learn more about the issues involved and their workarounds. One thing stands out, though, the processing really does seem superior. For PT, that's a huge plus.

I've had 64GB of RAM for maybe 6 or 7 years, and even though I've never used more than half of that even on heavy sessions, I like the headroom. So 64GB of unified RAM would be a great continuation of what I'm used to. There does seem to be a huge amount of GPU power though, which isn't really necessary for my workflow. I'll have to educate myself well before I make a move.

One more thing, my understanding is that only one external monitor is supported. But I know some folks use two. For 20 years + I've used two monitors, so that's an important thing for me. What's the workaround for those who use 2 with the new macs?
Old 06-09-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post

One more thing, my understanding is that only one external monitor is supported. But I know some folks use two. For 20 years + I've used two monitors, so that's an important thing for me. What's the workaround for those who use 2 with the new macs?
Check the specification for each Mac.

The original M1 Macs (Air and MacBookPro 13") only allowed for a single external monitor. The M1 Mac Mini allowed 2 (I think) and the MBP 14" and 16" with M1 Pro and M1 Max allowed 3 monitors. Worth checking each model.

Dominic

From Apple's website:

"If you're using a Mac with M1 Max:
On MacBook Pro, you can connect up to four external displays to your Mac using the Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) and HDMI ports.
On Mac Studio, you can connect up to five external displays to your Mac using the Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) and HDMI ports on the back of the computer.

If you're using a Mac with M1 Pro:
You can connect up to two external displays to your Mac using the Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) and HDMI ports.

If you're using a Mac with the M1 chip:
On iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air, and 13-inch MacBook Pro, you can connect one external display using either of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. On iMac, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .
On Mac mini, you can connect a second display to the HDMI port.
Using docks or daisy-chaining devices doesn't increase the number of displays you can connect."
Old 06-09-2022, 11:35 AM

I can't edit my post above - you'll see I made a mistake with M1 Pro and M1 Max - the numbers are different for each model...

Worth bearing in mind that the SOC GPU has some limitations with very high-res displays, and especially with odd ratios - I have a 49" 32:9 display and the resolutions supported are a bit strange.

Dominic
Old 06-09-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I can't edit my post above - you'll see I made a mistake with M1 Pro and M1 Max - the numbers are different for each model...

Worth bearing in mind that the SOC GPU has some limitations with very high-res displays, and especially with odd ratios - I have a 49" 32:9 display and the resolutions supported are a bit strange.

Dominic
Thanks Dominic, for all the info. What has been your overall experience? Has it been worth it? What about plugin support; I've seen some of the major plugin makers are now supporting M1. I may have to wait for M2, though I read that it'll support only one external monitor. But there was also something about using a Displaylink to connect two.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:24 PM

I went from a top end 2013 Mac Pro to an Mac Studio Ultra with 64gb of RAM and the performance is a huge improvement, occasionally Pro Tools will still beach ball on AAF import or something like that, but I have found that to be the case on many systems.

I am running a lot of 5.1 post sessions, VIs, and video.

MKD Creative
Old 06-09-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dominic, for all the info. What has been your overall experience? Has it been worth it? What about plugin support; I've seen some of the major plugin makers are now supporting M1. I may have to wait for M2, though I read that it'll support only one external monitor. But there was also something about using a Displaylink to connect two.
Mac users know this, and you might too, but a very basic change that has come with Apple silicon and the accompanying new MacOS versions, is:

- Big Sur and above will not run 32 bits applications. This meant for a lot of us that we needed to find 64bit apps, large and small, to replace old apps.

- Some apps, for me some plugins, f.ex IK Modo Drums were coded with some Intel-specific code (can't remember what it was called), and it would not run on M1 at all.

- If you are used to running any intel code in any way, Paralells etc, that is obviously also gone.

PS: I'm running two displays at 1600 x 900 resolution on my mac mini.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I've seen some of the major plugin makers are now supporting M1.
You are likely seeing announcements of M1 support for other plugin types, you cannot run Apple silicon native plugins today in Pro Tools, that has to wait on Avid to release native silicon version of Pro Tools. It's nice that this means that plugin vendors are likely close to supporting AAX ports to native silicon but there is nothing in the market today. As I mentioned before, right now you need to run Intel versions of AAX plugins on Apple Silicon.... and you have to check them for latest macOS and Pro Tools compatibility, largely issues over iLok license compatibility.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are likely seeing announcements of M1 support for other plugin types, you cannot run Apple silicon native plugins today in Pro Tools, that has to wait on Avid to release native silicon version of Pro Tools. It's nice that this means that plugin vendors are likely close to supporting AAX ports to native silicon but there is nothing in the market today. As I mentioned before, right now you need to run Intel versions of AAX plugins on Apple Silicon.... and you have to check them for latest macOS and Pro Tools compatibility, largely issues over iLok license compatibility.
Thanks, Darryl. Mac terminology is like a different language to me, I've got some learning to do...
Old 06-09-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
It would be helpful if you could describe the type of work you are planning on doing with the M1 Mac. Your mileage will vary greatly depending on the work and which Mac you’re looking at getting. It’s as simple as that.

You will be limited with the 16GB RAM. And there is plenty of feedback in the forum to spend the money on increasing the size of the HD in the Mac. I regret not increasing mine from 512GB.
I work with mostly MIDI and VIs. Production and mixing. Lots of VIs which I commit later, after playing/programming. Usually 60-90 tracks including vocals and live instruments.

HD? Why not SSD? I hear it's difficult to upgrade Mac hardware after buying it. Is that what you are talking about? Does that mean you have just one chance to get your hardware configuration right? That's very different from PC hardware, which is very easily upgradable after the fact.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
- If you are used to running any intel code in any way, Paralells etc, that is obviously also gone.
Parallels does work on an M1, according to them.