Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2021, 10:26 AM

Default Odd fader mismatch in trim, preview, punch

So I've been seeing this behavior basically ever since getting the S1s and just haven't posted about it. Doesn't happen every time or on every fader, but often and on most faders (24 fader system here):
  • I group a bunch of faders (maybe all), go into touch/trim mode, all faders are now at '0', then into preview mode.
  • Trim the faders down to wherever I want them, everybody's behaving and everything sounds right
  • Hit Punch Preview
Screen shows everything correct (trim starts writing to correct levels), but the physical faders JUMP BACK TO 0 as soon as I hit Punch.

Everything is written correctly, but physical faders are back at 0 even though trim level is being correctly written at say -6 or whatever I set it to. If I then put the cursor at another location physical faders now correctly reflect trimmed level.

This is not a show stopper, since the correct levels are written, but it seems very odd - anyone else notice this?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-08-2021, 11:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: Odd fader mismatch in trim, preview, punch

What are the faders doing in PT at this time?
Old 09-08-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
What are the faders doing in PT at this time?
Thanks for the response Eddie -
I basically never look at the mix screen so no idea, but like I said, automation in the edit window is correctly writing, and trim level is reflected in the track displays in the edit window - it's just the physical faders don't jump to 0 and don't match what's actually happening. Next time it happens, I'll open the mix window and see what it's doing there, but I bet they are correctly reflecting the trim amount...

Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Old 09-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Thanks for the response Eddie -
I basically never look at the mix screen so no idea, but like I said, automation in the edit window is correctly writing, and trim level is reflected in the track displays in the edit window - it's just the physical faders don't jump to 0 and don't match what's actually happening. Next time it happens, I'll open the mix window and see what it's doing there, but I bet they are correctly reflecting the trim amount...
Its key to know this as so much of EUCON is in the actual DAW.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Its key to know this as so much of EUCON is in the actual DAW.

OK, so this happened again yesterday, and I had a moment to document what's going on: Faders in touch/trim, put PT into Preview mode, in this case vca faders (though it can be any regular fader) were at -8dB trim, I set them to -1.9, -1.7, 0 in preview, then once set, I punch automation in and the physical faders jump back to all at -8 as you can see in the photograph, but software faders in mix window are correct! Automation is written correctly, and when I move to somewhere else in the song and go back the physical faders go to their correct positions. Weird huh? This happens reasonably often, and has been happening for at least the last year through multiple PT versions and Eucon/firmware versions.

Pictures of software faders and physical faders attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fader mismatch.jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fader mismatch physical.jpg (33.1 KB, 0 views)