Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-25-2020, 02:35 AM
Johnny Hulst's Avatar
Johnny Hulst Johnny Hulst is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Staphorst, The Netherlands
Posts: 149
Default MTRX with AVB connection ?

What will be next for MTRX ?
I know Avid never ever shows their cards... but since Carbon is now released with AVB, I hope Avid comes up with an optional card for the MTRX with 2 ethernet ports (AVB) and 8 hdx processors on it (same way as the new carbon)
So I can ditch my old HDX card & Thunderbold HD Native unit, and use the MTRX on any mac with the same power at hands.

Ah... hope is all I got
__________________
Johnny Hulst

Hulst Audio Engineering
MacPro (2019) 3,3ghz 12-core, 64gb Ram, 2Tb system SSD
Avid HDX, UAD-2 Octo, RME Hdspe AES & HD Native Thunderbolt
Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe (4x 250gb Samsung980pro)
Sonnet Allegro Pro USB-A 3.2, 4-port PCIe
Avid MTRX - mic/pre- & da-card, Dante Module,
MADI Module with SFP/LC module multimode 1300nm
MOM by DAD
192 I/O (64 analog inputs)
Genelec 1237A Sam
Genelec 1031A
Avantone mixcube
Rupert Neve RNHP

Last edited by Johnny Hulst; 11-25-2020 at 02:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-25-2020, 03:01 AM
Ashford Ashford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 11
Default Re: MTRX with AVB connection ?

I hope it is just a firmware update to use the existing MTRX Ethernet ports.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-25-2020, 06:21 AM
gives's Avatar
gives gives is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: MTRX with AVB connection ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hulst View Post
What will be next for MTRX ?
I know Avid never ever shows their cards... but since Carbon is now released with AVB, I hope Avid comes up with an optional card for the MTRX with 2 ethernet ports (AVB) and 8 hdx processors on it (same way as the new carbon)
So I can ditch my old HDX card & Thunderbold HD Native unit, and use the MTRX on any mac with the same power at hands.

Ah... hope is all I got
Agreed! That would be good. G
__________________
Gregory Ives, Composer/Sound Designer/Musician
http://www.gregives.com
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm1170521/?ref_=sch_int

Protools 2021.7 Ultimate HD Native Thunderbolt Avid MTRX. DAD MOM,Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64GB of Ram
OSX Catalina 10.15.7 Digital Performer 9.5.2, Logic Pro X 10.6.3
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-25-2020, 10:34 AM
SomeOtherGuy SomeOtherGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 478
Default Re: MTRX with AVB connection ?

Agreed. Many of us have substantial MTRX investments, and it's still a recent product introduction. But since it was developed by a third party, Digital Audio Denmark, I wouldn't be surprised if Avid simply releases an in-house, high-end version of their own Carbon interface, and leaves the MTRX unsupported as regards to Hybrid DSP. After all, I'm sure Avid is paying DAD a royalty on all MTRX sales.
__________________
Pro Tools Ultimate, Avid MTRX, MOM, Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6-Core (2014) 128 GB RAM, Mac OS Big Sur, Samsung EVO SSD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-25-2020, 11:16 AM
originalscottyg originalscottyg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 948
Default Re: MTRX with AVB connection ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Agreed. Many of us have substantial MTRX investments, and it's still a recent product introduction. But since it was developed by a third party, Digital Audio Denmark, I wouldn't be surprised if Avid simply releases an in-house, high-end version of their own Carbon interface, and leaves the MTRX unsupported as regards to Hybrid DSP. After all, I'm sure Avid is paying DAD a royalty on all MTRX sales.
Agreed. I think Avid is looking to in-house hardware moving forward, so I doubt that MTRX will get Avid's proprietary flavor of AVB. I think Hybrid mode will be available for anybody running a MTRX with HDX cards, once HDX Hybrid mode is available, but there will never be any DSP incorporated into the MTRX.
__________________
Scott Gatteño
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-25-2020, 04:08 PM
LukeHoward LukeHoward is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,082
Default Re: MTRX with AVB connection ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Agreed. I think Avid is looking to in-house hardware moving forward, so I doubt that MTRX will get Avid's proprietary flavor of AVB. I think Hybrid mode will be available for anybody running a MTRX with HDX cards, once HDX Hybrid mode is available, but there will never be any DSP incorporated into the MTRX.
They don't have a proprietary flavour of AVB, as it works with the implementation in macOS, it's just a proprietary implementation (see the Carbon FAQ). If it supports 32-bit float though, it can't be using the AM824 stream format, which means no AVB interoperability with the S3 (unless that gets a firmware update).

I asked NTP about an AVB card for the MTRX some time ago, and they had no plans. Perhaps Avid will develop one themselves.

I spent some time working on an AVB to AES67 bridge but it was challenging to implement reliably in software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MTRX Studio DADman-Network Connection Error pablovius Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 39 07-03-2021 10:50 PM
MTRX-> HDX or MTRX->Dante ArmyofLight Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 34 04-08-2021 04:51 PM
MTRX and AES Nephew312 Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 2 06-14-2020 05:28 PM
FS: MTRX 2x 8 Line Input Pristine Card 1x MTRX SPQ Card antonis Buy & Sell 9 04-11-2020 06:47 AM
MTRX connection issue DHS Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 18 12-16-2019 01:17 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com