Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM

Default Using a pen tablet with Pro Toolws 9HD

I've used a Wacom tablet for a number of years and really love it..except!

When you move to a point on the timeline and want to pick it, you touch it with the pen and maybe it sticks but often it appears to but doesn't and you hit record, and you wind up saying, "oppps!" Never good for the client to hear.

Also, in TDM plug ins, you start to set a parameter and you touch the adjustment fader with your pen and ZOOM! The pointer goes all the way to the top of the slot. So, you have to put the pen down and grab your mouse to make the subtle adjustment you want.

I've noticed in HD9 the pen thing is somewhat better on TDM plug ins but I still have trouble setting my timeline in point with it and still am still saying, "Opps," too often.

With the mouse, you set your point on the timeline and it sticks and it is good (starts flashing meaning it's ready to record) not so much with the pen. I used to use the Intuos series and then went to the less expensive and smaller footprint "bamboo" series but even in their internal settings where you can tell it to "Act like a mouse," it still doesn't.

Has anyone else experienced this unsure footing with the pen? I really prefer the pen but I wish it would have the certainty of a mouse.

Now, I see a new Intuos 5 and I'm wondering if it would be a more sure-footed product or just another entry into my growing box of old tablets.

Would love to hear your comments. Thanks.

Steve

MacPro8core, 16 gigs ram, Pro Tools 9HD, OSX 10.68.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Using a pen tablet with Pro Toolws 9HD

I don't have my tablet in front of me, but there's a setting in the control panel for drag threshold which has helped me with the selection vs. insertion issue... another workaround is to use QuickPunch for record, keep the tracks in input monitoring and set a long post-roll time. You'll still have to drag out the edit when you're done recording, but you'll save yourself the "oops" factor.

That thing with plugin parameters going all the way seems to be better, in my experience, when the plugin is closer to the middle of the screen rather than near an edge. I've never quite been able to figure out why it happens, and I've had it happen with a mouse in addition to the tablet. I'm not sure if I've had it since going to PT9, though... I don't remember.

The tablet we've been using is pretty old and I don't know if anything has improved other than me having years of experience using the tablet to make these kinds of things more familiar and easily avoided/worked around.