Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM

Default Quantize + velocity

I record a midi track and quantize selecting Note on/ Preserve Note duration and I get clicks for notes. Ive tried all the other selections and cant find a solution in the manual. It describes the process as selecting note on and duration but this keeps happening. I've fallen victim to stretching each velocity manually. One by one by one by one. Can I get a hot tub! (insert laughter) am I missing an easy function or is this just the way it is?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Quantize + velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul El View Post
I record a midi track and quantize selecting Note on/ Preserve Note duration and I get clicks for notes. Ive tried all the other selections and cant find a solution in the manual. It describes the process as selecting note on and duration but this keeps happening. I've fallen victim to stretching each velocity manually. One by one by one by one. Can I get a hot tub! (insert laughter) am I missing an easy function or is this just the way it is?
Hi, I'm not sure exactly what you're doing to fix the problem, or maybe the terminology you're using isn't correct. Velocity has nothing to do with how long the note is - velocity deals with dynamics. What instrument are you recording that gives you clicks on playback after quantizing? Can you post before/after screenshots of your MIDI Edit window?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 AM

Hi, I'm having the same problem when trying to quantize any midi data. I usually record using a midi keyboard, and afterwords either in staff view or piano roll view.....i would quantize the data (just to clean up my poor piano playing skills). When I do so, everything seems to get converted to stacatto notes (thats how it plays them afterwords)but the note is still displayed visually as a whole note.
I'm gonna try using some different softsynths etc and see if it continues...or trash my pref thing. Also I installed Pro Tools on a cheap laptop...just to do straight recording with...then work on my main computer at home.
I'll need to test it on my main computer since i haven't done so with the latest update of pro tools (ver 11.1.2)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 AM

I played around a bit with this on my laptop....and seemed to found the cause of this (for me anyways).
In the midi in devices (I think in the setting options)....I noticed it had mbox2 midi in...and mbox2(emulated)in. I deselected the check box for the emulated one....and it all works proper now. So now I can edit and quantize the midi data without the clicking/staccato note stuff.

I don't know if that will help with your case Soul El....but seems to work for me (if our problems are the same)