Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2003, 09:41 PM

Default Best audio interface for a laptop G4/PT.

I guess that Mini Me(Apogee) is supported from ProTools.

But some solution exist for a little bit cheaper interfaces (MAudio?) I need good Mic preamp and AD converters(stereo).

Thanks
Old 12-18-2003, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Best audio interface for a laptop G4/PT.

Where did you learn that the MiniMe is supported by PT?
Old 12-18-2003, 06:16 PM

That is just a guess because other interfaces "were" supported by Digi!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:30 PM

No they weren't. In order to use Pro Tools (LE I'm assuming), you must use Digidesign hardware. There are a number of options for Pro Tools LE. You can find more information about the 002, 002 Rack, and MBox by clicking on these links.

By the way, if you're looking for information for Pro Tools LE, you should go to the LE Forum.

And for what it's worth, I have a MiniMe that I use with my HD3 and it's pretty cool, though not amazing. I do like the MiniDAC though. It sounds good and gives you a volume control.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I already use a Mix Plus/DSPFarm system. I sometime do some location recording but it is not practical to bring all this hardware(G4+ exp chassis/882-20. I'm planing to buy a IBook(G4) and an audio interface with or without mic preamps. I have a Millenia HV-3B and a pair of KM-184. I want to find the best software/ardware combo.

I would like to run on OSX too. Maybe Bias Peak should do it or Digital Performer(witch I already have). If Digi doesn't provide cheap(but good) solutions, then I'll switch application/hardware.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:04 PM

I'm in a similar situation. I've got two rigs running HD at the studio. But the digi interfaces for my laptop don't meet my needs. For one - I want 8 XLR outs. I also want good metering! I'm leaning towards getting a MOTU 896HD. My only hesitation is that I wish it was mLan compatible. The ProTools incompatibility isnt a big deal. I can run DP4 or Logic on the laptop and just export the work to ProTools later If I need. I think Digi would be smart to release a verision of ProTools that runs without hardware - just make it come with an iLok! But they are stubborn I guess. If I don't get and 896HD I might get a Yamaha O1x or even a Yamaha O1v96 with an mLan card. The O1X doesn't have 8 XLR outputs but you could add them via mLan!
Old 12-21-2003, 04:22 AM

By Paul Turpin
Quote:
I think Digi would be smart to release a verision of ProTools that runs without hardware - just make it come with an iLok! But they are stubborn I guess.
Hello. They are 'stubborn' about this as you say because Pro Tools is the only audio software that has not been and is not being pirated. Every other single piece of software has been, even with copy protection dongles and such. Until they can be 100% sure that this will not happen, I wouldn't think that they would ever change their mind on this.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:48 AM

Hi there

There is another good reason why protools runs only with its hardware, it creates a (relatively) stable platform for audio hard disk recording, and a symbiotic relationship between hardware and software that I haven't come across when using other software (cubase, logic and cakewalk). I guess I use a mac for the same reason (don't flame me for this comment please I am sick of mac v pc - its my choice and i live with it ) Basically everything just works the way it should.

Cheers and merry xmas all

Alex Karolis
Binary Studio
Coogee Australia