Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-15-2002, 10:11 PM

Default plugins, RTAS, DirectX, VST- what are these thangs?

I'm confused. I want to buy plugins for ptle5.0.1/win98/digi001; what is/are rtas, directx, vst,audiosuite etc....can anyone provide a short tutorial????thanx

more specifically what will work with my setup? I saw a post where someone recommended Waves Gold 3.2?
Old 02-16-2002, 12:42 AM

Default Re: plugins, RTAS, DirectX, VST- what are these thangs?

Hello. I'm fairly sure that with the Digi001 the only type of plug-ins that we can use are the RTAS type. I am completely sure that Waves Native Gold 3.1 ( RTAS, not the TDM version ) works great, and are some of the best plugs out there.
Old 02-16-2002, 01:15 AM

PTLE can use rtas and audio-suite plugins. I have the waves Native Power Pack running and i know others have the renesaince-pack or gold-bundle.

DirectX and VST are not (yet?) possible.

Bastiaan
Old 02-16-2002, 02:28 AM

You can buy plug-ins for your Digi001 PC-system from Waves (Gold Native Bundle OR Platinum), Antares Autotune (for RTAS only 1.1), Bomb Factory and GRM - beside what you can get from the Onlinestore here at Digi (Focusrite and Digi). There is a special booklet from Digi on this matter. The order that I´ve listed them are my recommended purchase order.

But, pleazzze, join the club and mail those who still haven´t got their plug-ins for the PC-platform yet.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 02-16-2002, 05:26 AM

TDM: Time Division Multiplexing
Those aren't for you.
They're the (old) top line plugin standard for Pro Tools TDM systems using external (cards) DSP power.

Today Digi move 3rd party dev. to HD-TDM which is their new system standard.

HTDM: Host TDM.
Enables you to run synths and stuff based on the TDM DSP. Currently only one mention it (from what I saw) is Native Instruments with their pack.

AS: Audiosuite.
This is the most compatible Digi standard.
It's non-realtime effect. Most effects comes in AS/RTAS or AS/TDM (or AS/TDM/RTAS) for giving the option of saving DSP or CPU power.

RTAS: Real-Time Audiosuite.
When Digidesign started their Pro Tools LE product line they've started a new concept (on their products) of Host-based systems (those that use CPU power with no external DSP). That's why the RTAS like AS use the CPU but it's realtime like the TDM versions. On modren Pro Tools TDM versions you can use both TDM/RTAS together to squeeze more effects.

DirectConnect (Mac ONLY):
This standard enables you to hook up "virtual cables" from one software to another to enable the use of Virtual Synths and other stuff.

VST: (Sorry I'm a Digi user and have no clue of what it means)

VST is Stienberg's plugin standard for Realtime and Offline plugin processing.
It's being used on several products such as Cubase, Nuendo, Wavelab (Steinberg's), Logic Audio (Emagic), Fruity Loops, Deck/Peak (Mac ONLY) and other compatible products.

It's pretty good format however Digi supports only their standards so don't expect VST plugins to run on your TDM/LE system.

VSTi: The same but with Instruments.
Like the HTDM this is a standard for virtual instruments features many instruments. again, not supporting Pro Tools. (use RTAS or HTDM alternatives).

Rewire: Steinberg's standard for "DirectConnect" like.

DX: DirectX
Microsoft standard for plugins and any multimedia applications.
Again not compatible with Pro Tools (unlike Cubase, Logic Audio, Nuendo, Cakewalk and many more products).
In the past years it's got improved and now contain automation and many new features.

DXi: DirectX Instrument.
The next-stage of DX for automation and..
Instruments.

So if you want any plug you should go on AS/RTAS those the only standards Pro Tools LE supports.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:04 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rock_Artist:

VST: (Sorry I'm a Digi user and have no clue of what it means) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VST stands for Virtual Studio Technology, patented by Steinberg.

L.G. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2002, 08:06 AM

VST stands for "Virtual Studio Technology"

and like you said...VSTi is "Virtual Studio Technology instruments"

Cheers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2002, 02:40 PM

you guys are great...thanks for the info,mrmike