Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Default Need XMON help - RESOLVED

I just acquired an original DCONTROL in 16 channel config. I love it. Really made way more difference to my mixes than I thought it could. Huge fan.

BUT!

My XMON appears to have an issue with the stereo inputs right side. i.e. 2,4,6,8 or 1R, 2R, 3R, 4R and not passing audio. I know my cabling is good. The same cable feeds the main inputs correctly. And fed my old Control 24 correctly. Digi made D25 cables too.

Digi have given me an RMA and a $500 repair price. NO ADVANCE REPLACEMENT AVAILABLE. This is terrible news. To get this fixed means 2 weeks without ICON - UNACCEPTABLE to me. SO -

Does anyone have a spare XMON I could rent, borrow, buy in the meantime?

Hopefully, Ainslie

Last edited by AINSLIE; 05-31-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Question resolved
Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Need XMON help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
My XMON appears to have an issue with the stereo inputs right side. i.e. 2,4,6,8 or 1R, 2R, 3R, 4R and not passing audio. I know my cabling is good. The same cable feeds the main inputs correctly. And fed my old Control 24 correctly. Digi made D25 cables too.
What do you mean by this? Are you trying to use the stereo inputs on the X-Mon for monitoring other stereo sources? If so, you need to know that the X-Mon is wired for L-R on 1-5 not 1-2. You need to rewire your setup so that your monitoring is coming off of channels 1 & 5 to be able to get both left and right from the stereo inputs.

You can either modify all of your Pro Tools sessions in the I/O setup to send L-R out of 1-5 on the interface to the X-Mon, or you can cross-patch 1-2 output from the interface to 1-5 input on the X-Mon. Either way would require the monitor speakers to be on 1-5 from the X-Mon.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 AM

The 1-5 for LR is true of the Main and Surround DSUB25 inputs on the rear of the XMON. These are working correctly. That is not the input I am speaking of. I am talking about the Stereo sources input connector above the power connector on the rear of the XMON. This is not wired in the same way as the MAIN and SURROUND inputs are wired. Check this document to see exactly the wiring of the (4) Stereo Inputs on a single DSUB25:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...itor_44751.pdf
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM

It drives me nuts that they expect me to do without it for up to 2 weeks. This is not the kind of service befitting a product of this level. I cant even buy expedited service, shipping return method, OR even rent one.

How are you ICON owners putting up with this? Is this AVID sucking once Digi was folded in? Is this what to expect now.

Very dissapointed. HELP anyone? Got an XMON to rent / buy?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
The 1-5 for LR is true of the Main and Surround DSUB25 inputs on the rear of the XMON. These are working correctly. That is not the input I am speaking of. I am talking about the Stereo sources input connector above the power connector on the rear of the XMON. This is not wired in the same way as the MAIN and SURROUND inputs are wired. Check this document to see exactly the wiring of the (4) Stereo Inputs on a single DSUB25:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...itor_44751.pdf
I don't think you quite understood me. The stereo sources inputs are only routed out the Main and Alt outputs as 1-left & 5-right and will not work for you if you don't monitor from 1-left & 5-right as your left-right. If you already are monitoring from 1-left 5-right, then you are correct, you have a problem.

But, I've diagnosed and solved this very problem 3 different times where stereo sources were absent on the right and every single time the solution was to change which output channels were being used from both the Main and Alt outputs on the X-Mon.

So again, to use the stereo inputs (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8) you must have 1 & 5 wired to your monitors from either the Main or Alt outs. When this is the case, then to also get L-R out of Pro Tools, you must either re-route in the I/O setup or cross-patch the cabling between the interface and the main X-Mon inputs.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM

Jimmy,

Thankyou so much for bearing with me. You are of course correct. The hardware outs of the DCONTROL are where my issue was. Not in inputs, or I/O configuration. Now thanks to your patience in pushing back on this it is solved and my ignorance on the topic has been somewhat beaten down. Your good deed is deeply appreciated ..

Ainslie
Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 AM

You're welcome.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM

know anyone else in town with a XMON that would let you do a swap test with? (yours there and theirs at your place)

I've been bitten by the speaker Solo/Mutes before

I do suspect a cabling problem, of the 10 or so I've put in not one XMON problem that wasn't cable or user

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM

Should anyone else ever search this and find this thread here's the key. Stereo inputs feed XMON outputs 1(L) and 5(R). This is not configurable on the desk or in PT. it's hard wired in the console / XMON combo.

So - I still use my existing I/O setups in PT to feed the stereo ins in the way I am choosing to use it (allows me to A/B quickly between stereo files). It's just the XMON outputs, and the Monitor section on the DCONTROL that need to be understood.

Yep. All working great. The world is stereo again. Till my next 5.1 ..
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM

yes, I always custom wire XMONs in SMPTE/ITU L,R,C,Lfe,Ls,Rs
using DTS L,Ls,C,Rs,R,Lfe was plain stupid

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig