Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 01:14 AM

Default Audio dreams: you, a farmer, a cherry Neumann

Anybody have dreams like this? Hoping that one day, you'll be driving up some backroad in the middle of nowhere (pop: 105 + you), pulling into the local pawn shop and stumbling across a cherry U47? I've had dreams like this. How about you?

I've heard of one story with the same scenario above; someguy finding a bucket filled with U47's stored in the back of some barn. They used the U47's to mic their town dances way back in the "old days."

Share your dreams. Share your true stories as well!

[This message has been edited by PeeTee (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Audio dreams: you, a farmer, a cherry Neumann

Did they find that bucket of U-47's in the back seat of that cherry 1961 Porsche Speedster with only 125 miles on it?

rcm
Old 04-12-2001, 03:09 PM

It's no Neumann, but a friend of mine bought a perfect RCA 77-DX at an estate sale in Spokane about 15 years ago. The mike was part of the in-house intercom system at one of those big old mansions up on the South Hill. Seems everybody else at the sale was only interested in old furniture, so Reese walked out with the microphone, a stand, and extra cable for $60!

Truth
no joke
no dream

------------------
sc

When the machine produces tranquillity, it's right.
---Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Old 04-13-2001, 06:26 PM

Yep, a good friend of mine got a never used Nuemann U47 tube mic, still in the box, all the papers,etc. from a little old lady that his parents knew. She had it in her attic since her husband died. he brought it back from when he was overseas at war, straight from Germany. he bought it from her for ...$500.00. Evrything was in pefect condition,power supply,cables,etc. i've rented this mic from him and it's sweet.
Old 04-14-2001, 12:34 AM

It ain't a U47, but when I was 16 or so I found a 1924 Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum, still with natural skin heads, buried in the corner of a grungy old second hand store in Chicago. Set me back all of $12. I haven't felt the need to buy another snare since.
(818) 549-0622
Old 04-14-2001, 09:14 AM

My buddy HATES me for this one: After a short mixing day in Gnashville, I go back to the house where I am crashing. Down the street is an estate sale, so I walk down. Mostly furniture junk, but like every other house around that town , there was a studio in the basement. Being 1992, I was a gear addict, so I started digging. Mostly MCI, kepex, dbx,
Ursa, 58s,57s,I find a little leather bag with a drawstring. Shiny TLM-170 with book, maybe used, maybe not. So I go to the older man taking $$ into his cigar box and ask, "how much for this old thing?" - no lie, he asks me what I think it's worth! I said, "I have no idea" and he says, how about $50? I said OK, but only had $40. When I told him I only had forty, he said that'd be fine. I said thanks, and started walking away, afraid someone was going to yell "HALT" at any second. I hope the owner of that studio doesn't read this!! Still my favorite vocal & ambient mic. The second @ 17th Ave. wouldn't beleive me either!
Old 04-16-2001, 10:21 PM

What about the farmer's daughter?
Old 04-20-2001, 05:50 PM

I bought a pair of 1176ln Blackfaces for $600.00 from a local public radio station and sold them for almost 6k 5 years later. Yippee.. I do miss them. But I had to sell them when the 6k offer was made. $$ signs just lit up in my eyes and I had to let them go.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:27 AM

She was more expensive looking than the TLM.
nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

[This message has been edited by supersonic C (edited April 22, 2001).]