Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-23-2008, 11:00 AM

Default does anyone have any experience using the east west Quantum Leap instruments?

hey guys

so....i've fallen in love with the east west piano and SD2 libraries - does anyone have these really working in any projects? or know of any compatibility issues ..... by "really working" i mean putting it through it's paces loads of tracks etc.

i'm running HD2, 8 core, 6 gig

also i'm interested if anyone knows if it's pure RTAS or if its just a wrapped VSTi?

C.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Re: does anyone have any experience using the east west Quantum Leap instruments?

This is a less than completely specific question.
A few considerations:
There are some other East West instruments that use their new "Play" engine which has it own set of compatibility considerations.
The specific East West instruments you mention are probably those that use Kontakt player. Some of them can be a bit CPU intensive, but do work with a fully compatible system. This can be complicated. For example, Kontakt appears to be not compatible as RTAS under Leopard operating system. There are other compatibility issues to check. Try searching the duc and maybe elsewhere under the specfic instrument names to see what people are saying. And determine what player they will use in your systemt (Kontakt player, Kontakt 2, Kompakt) and search the name of that engine and see if people are having compatibility problems with the engine you need to use.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Re: does anyone have any experience using the east west Quantum Leap instruments?

SpiritG I think you are a bit comfusing in your answer, to the specific question, sorry. The EW Play Engine works fine with PT, - forget the old Kontakt-stuff.
All new and updated EW libs work only with Play, - and yes it is RTAS and not wrapped.
The specific libs Carl mention (Pianos and SD2) are Play Libs. I only got SD2 of the two, but I´m running pretty much all the other libs. for Play (Gibsy, Fab, EW Plat, MR, ect), so I´m pretty confident that Pianos will work just as great as the rest.

Cheers

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 11-23-2008, 03:16 PM

I snagged up the Quantum Leap Gold bundle for Structure and LOVE the sounds. I have to say I HATE their interface(play is equally as horrid as structure) but sound is unparalleled. Fab four has cool sounds but I'd pass on a purchase, nothing you can really do with it. I think if you're a movie composer or someone who needs non-compromised perfection in the sounds and samples go with it EW, if you want good sounds with an easier interface XPand!, Omnisphere, Ivory & Reason Refils will get you through.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 AM

cheers guys..... making my purchase now! :)

C
Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
I snagged up the Quantum Leap Gold bundle for Structure and LOVE the sounds. I have to say I HATE their interface(play is equally as horrid as structure) but sound is unparalleled. Fab four has cool sounds but I'd pass on a purchase, nothing you can really do with it. I think if you're a movie composer or someone who needs non-compromised perfection in the sounds and samples go with it EW, if you want good sounds with an easier interface XPand!, Omnisphere, Ivory & Reason Refils will get you through.
I would hardly call Ivory a compromise. The rest of the stuff yah.