Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-28-2021, 02:33 PM

Default MIDI send to performance layers

I have a Roland Fantom (2020) and when I play a Performance Patch (with numerous layers), it sounds fine. I track that to a MIDI channel in pro tools. When it plays back, it only plays one of the layers back, and not the entire performance patch. Looking in Pro Tools, I do not see a setting to adjust this; and I am not sure it's a pro tools adjustment, or a keyboard adjustment. I also do not see a way to adjust that in the Fantom. Any advice?
Old 03-29-2021, 08:11 AM

Default Re: MIDI send to performance layers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
I have a Roland Fantom (2020) and when I play a Performance Patch (with numerous layers), it sounds fine. I track that to a MIDI channel in pro tools. When it plays back, it only plays one of the layers back, and not the entire performance patch. Looking in Pro Tools, I do not see a setting to adjust this; and I am not sure it's a pro tools adjustment, or a keyboard adjustment. I also do not see a way to adjust that in the Fantom. Any advice?

Well, I'm not sure how things are set up in performance mode on the Fantom, but on the Yamaha Motif XS you can have up to four patches layered, with each on its own midi channel. I'm wondering if the Fantom works in a similar way and automatically assigns each layer of the performance to a separate MIDI channel? If so, then you could duplicate the MIDI tracks in PT and assign the MIDI out channels to whatever the Fantom requires for each layer. OR, it might be that you can set the Fantom to have a performance patch respond to all midi channels at once. THe first place I'd look, though, is what MIDI input options for performance mode you have for the Fantom.