Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 PM

Default Instrument Track won't record MIDI

OK, I feel like a real dufus, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Just upgraded to Pro Tools 8, so I'm relearning a few things. I create an Instrument Track, but it won't record any MIDI information. I can hear everything, and it'll record just fine when routed to an audio track.

Create an Instrument Track
Put a VI on its Input
Record arm the track
Clicking with my laptop mouse, I can hear the VI
When I record via the transport, no MIDI information is recorded to the track as I click with my mouse (Although I can hear what I'm clicking)
MIDI Thru is enabled

Is there some other setting I need to enable?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Instrument Track won't record MIDI

If you're just clicking on keys within the plugin, you're not really sending any MIDI to the Instrument track. If you're clicking on the piano keys in the protools edit window, I'm not sure, but it is probably the same problem.

Those functions are really just for previewing the sounds..

You can draw notes in with the pencil, use a real controller, or use one of the Virtual MIDI keyboard programs that are available.

Do a Google search for "Virtual MIDI keyboard" there are some free ones and a nice one from Tanager that costs a few bones..
Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Instrument Track won't record MIDI

Ah gotcha. I guess I thought clicking on the virtual keys with the mouse
would send the MIDI data as well. But being solely for previewing makes more sense as clicking with the mouse doesn't serve a musical purpose. The quantize fuction also wasn't working until I trashed some apple preferences so I wasn't sure if my MIDI problem was related. Thank you for the help!