Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2021, 05:00 PM

Default What happens to those who bought voice packs?

Im happy everyone gets 2000 voices but what happens to those of us who spent $1200 or more on voice packs?
Old 06-24-2021, 05:29 PM

Default Re: What happens to those who bought voice packs?

I asked that question of Francois Quereuil on a Facebook Group and he responded that they will do something to take care of Voice Pack owners, but they don't know what yet. I would like to know as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4498.jpg (53.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2021, 07:39 PM

I hope they do something for those that bought voice packs.

Years ago with Protools LE (I can't remember which version). I purchased something called the "Musician's Toolkit" (or something like that) to go from 32 voices to 48 voice (I might be off on the exact number of voices). I think it was $495 for the extra voices and a few plugins that I never used. Anyways, to make a long story short, about a year later Protools LE included 48 voices and my investment became worthless. There was no concessions from Digidesign/Avid to compensate me for paying for extra voices that eventually they included.

This also reminds me of the "Complete Production Toolkit" (or something like that). At least that time there was some discount for owners of that package to upgrade to Protools HD. I think it was like a $1000 value towards the upgrade from Protools LE to Protools HD. It's been so long ago that my mind is foggy so please forgive me if I get the details wrong. Some of you old-timers know what I'm talking about.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 06-24-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Some of you old-timers know what I'm talking about.
Yeah I've been using PT since LE version 6. I do remember the "complete toolkit" or whatever the hell it was called. I never sprung for it myself... It was easier to just bounce down some tracks and then start a new session.

Ah, the good old days !!!
Old 06-25-2021, 06:10 AM

Humm admittedly I did not ever need or get Voice Pack so with that caveat in mind.

If Avid does offer some consideration ( stepping back and from a strictly objective standpoint) that would be a bit "above and beyond". Very few manufactures if any, offer consideration for paid feature that (that did in fact function as advertised at the time ) when they become obsolete with advancements in new tech versions ..

While I do understand the frustration with having spent good money on something that becomes obsolete . The other side of coin is ::: If one bought it used it and it worked at that time . I am not certain there is much "inherent" valid justification for feeling as if you should be, or are somehow entitled to be compensated. If it turns out that Avid does then great , but just saying ...

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-25-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Humm admittedly I did not ever need or get Voice Pack so with that caveat in mind.

If Avid does offer some consideration ( stepping back and from a strictly objective standpoint) that would be a bit "above and beyond". Very few manufactures if any, offer consideration for paid feature that (that did in fact function as advertised at the time ) when they become obsolete with advancements in new tech versions ..

While I do understand the frustration with having spent good money on something that becomes obsolete . The other side of coin is ::: If one bought it used it and it worked at that time . I am not certain there is much "inherent" valid justification for feeling as if you should be, or are somehow entitled to be compensated. If it turns out that Avid does then great , but just saying ...
I don't disagree with what you are saying. However, Francois did say that they would do something, so I am curious to see what it will be.

P.S. I will add that when I asked that question of Francois on FB, it was still being implied (and at times said outright) by Avid that it would be a paid option and not included in the upgrade path. So my interest, at the time, was whether Voice Pack owners would get a discount on the Hybrid Mode plan option.

Last edited by originalscottyg; 06-25-2021 at 07:11 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
Im happy everyone gets 2000 voices but what happens to those of us who spent $1200 or more on voice packs?
You'll get 25 royalty free music tracks, 5 different footstep sfx and some analog emulating limiter plugin for free
Old 06-25-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhoof View Post
you'll get 25 royalty free music tracks, 5 different footstep sfx and some analog emulating limiter plugin for free :d
🤣🤣🤣
Old 06-25-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
You'll get 25 royalty free music tracks, 5 different footstep sfx and some analog emulating limiter plugin for free

It seems weird though as the introduction of the voice packs thing wasnt that long ago. But if avid squeezed me they squeezed me. Nothing I can do about it.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I asked that question of Francois Quereuil on a Facebook Group and he responded that they will do something to take care of Voice Pack owners, but they don't know what yet. I would like to know as well.
I found it strange that Avid release the increased voice counts without having figured out the details. Accounting didn't know about this technical feature? The release notes should include the procedure of what to do with discounts or not so the users who previously bought the voice packs don't have to wonder or waste their time on asking and trying to figure out (and now wait) what will happen.

Avid always has to deal with the "nickel and dime" image and charging for additional voices did not help to fight this image. This would have been a perfect opportunity to be proactive about this situation and they blew it. Again, I don't understand that because it is not like a bug that suddenly pops up. Did they expect that nobody brings that up, really?
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/