How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Better midi

We need a midi update..

The ability to draw cc curves properly..

The ability to copy and paste cc data..
Old 04-26-2021, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Better midi

I don't know what "draw properly" means, but the pencil tool has several modes, including curves.

You can cut/copy and paste CC data. Do your cut/copy, and then use Paste Special -> To Current Automation Type. Video here: https://youtu.be/yFqcqrg8DNo?t=1832

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 04-26-2021, 12:37 PM

We do need a number of MIDI improvements. But, yeah, like massivekerry said, those two are doable. Not always convenient. But doable.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-26-2021, 01:34 PM

Ok.. thanks for that video.. that's one down..

But the curve setting for the pencil tool doesn't work with cc data, does it?..

Is there a way to draw a gradually rising curve over a bar or so, and then down?..
Old 04-26-2021, 02:57 PM

Yeah, the parabolic and s curve are only for tempo automation..
Old 04-26-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
Yeah, the parabolic and s curve are only for tempo automation..
You are right, in PT you have no ability to quickly place / instigate a curve on any automation (midi or audio) other than tempo. Drawing it in manually is doable but so time consuming to create smooth curves let alone adjust it into an S-Curve or parabolic shape. Copy and pasting is doable......I wish the triangle pencil would allow triangle shapes to be created on just the top half of the pitch bend, again it can be done manually but time consuming......sigh!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 04-27-2021, 08:55 AM

Ah. I see. Apologies there. You're right. I have always seen the Curve Pencils in the MIDI Editor as I tap through F10 to get back to freehand, but I never tried to use them. Kinda seems like if they're not going to let us use them, Avid shouldn't allow them to show up in context in the MIDI Edit window. FWIW, I input most of my (Mod/Expression/Vol) CCs with faders, so I never felt I had a use for curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
You are right, in PT you have no ability to quickly place / instigate a curve on any automation (midi or audio) other than tempo. Drawing it in manually is doable but so time consuming to create smooth curves let alone adjust it into an S-Curve or parabolic shape. Copy and pasting is doable......I wish the triangle pencil would allow triangle shapes to be created on just the top half of the pitch bend, again it can be done manually but time consuming......sigh!

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 04-27-2021, 11:04 AM

I'm afraid AVID is not focusing too much about the MIDI side of production. Assuming that they are driven by how they can make the most money for their company (nothing wrong with that), MIDI might not be their focus.

I'm sure they have data about demographics of their users. Yes there are many PT users who are using MIDI and use the app for creating music (rather than recording), but not many potential new users to convince to create their beats in PT instead of other more MIDI-potent DAWs.

At least we got the new virtual MIDI Keyboard in 2021.3, so there might be some attention, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/