Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-04-2002, 08:24 AM

Default PT LE for film location recording?

So say there was this guy who does film location audio and then posts all the projects he records in Pro Tools TDM. Having never tried PT LE, here are the questions: Is there a way to use PT LE with a TC/sample rate pullup to 30fps/48.048kHz as well as an LTC output for a TC slate? Does the USD work with PT LE via a USB-to-Serial convertor? How cool would THAT be?...record on a laptop and xfer files to my TDM drives, import, sync, output etc etc.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:31 AM

Default Re: PT LE for film location recording?

no
Old 03-04-2002, 08:43 PM

Default Re: PT LE for film location recording? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Eric L
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 03-04-2002, 08:46 PM

Default Re: PT LE for film location recording? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Eric L
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 03-05-2002, 01:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> " How cool would THAT be?...record on a laptop and xfer files to my TDM drives, import, sync, output etc etc." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm probably not getting the full picture concerning what you need to do but anyway...If your concern is to transfer files from 001 to TDM without loosing sync., wouldn't a good old beep 50 frames (or whatever) before session start do?...
The good thing is that it works everytime and it's...free...
Sorry if I'm missing something...
Old 03-05-2002, 06:29 AM

Mr. T:
In an effort to save space and not bore 001/PT-LE users with film lingo/procedures, I kind of trailed off at the end of my original posting. The process goes like this: Film is shot at 24FPS because of tradition/cost/power frequency, and has what is referred to as a 60Hz time base. NTSC Video in the US (at least for the time being) runs at a 59.94Hz (29.97FPS) time base for reasons to arcane to go into. Film that has been transferred to video must by necessity be "slowed down" slightly to allow the frames to align. The audio must also be slowed down to maintain perfect lip sync.

Here is the chain for digital time coded location sound recording:

Record on a 30fps/ndf session running at 48.048kHz, (in "pull-up" mode) outputting the session TC as you roll to a TC slate which is photographed by the film camera at the top of each sync take. The resultant files are then opened in a post environment and the session is set to non-pullup mode (48.000kHz/29.97FPS). The sync takes are chopped into regions and numbered to match the take numbers. Using machine control with track arming, the silent Digital Betacam film transfer reels are cued to find the several seconds of "visual" TC which appears on the slate before each take. Picking a good clear frame just before the clapper closes, an "In" point is marked on the deck and the slate-displayed frame on the source audio region is given a sync point. That region is then placed on a new track and the sync point spotted to the tape TC in point. When all takes for each transfer reel are spotted, a layback is performed on the audio tracks of the transfer reel. Because the pullup has been employed in the original recording, the new timeline is both in sync, at the right speed, and at the right sample frequency and a digital layback is done. I prefer to sync and lay back each take one at a time, as I can watch the clapper and be sure each take is properly synced.

All of this is possible using a TDM system on location with a USD. More frequently, however, a DAT, Nagra, or DEVA recorder are used. Syncing in Pro Tools is simplified further by using a video-capture capable system and digitizing the video of each reel with burned in TC and placing the reel's video on matching TC of the PT session.

The nature of my posting was seeking a cheaper and more portable way to record correctly into Pro Tools on film-for-video shoots.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:39 AM

I knew I was missing something...Well as others said before, don't use 001&PTLE, this is "heavy "post production you're facing here...
Old 03-06-2002, 11:38 AM

Phead,
You can use the USD with the 001 by using a digi superclock to wordclock converter by Friendchip of Germany...and routing the word clock to the spdif rca input of the 001. You'll also need a common clock and a smpte to mtc converter ..such as a midi time piece..or something similar..to send your TC to PTle.. I think some of the units mentioned here...nanosync..already have RCA word out converters as well as digi superclock bnc's. (negating the need for a bnc superclock to rca word converter)

This will "lock and clock" yoru system. However...the one thing you'll be facing here is...there is no smpte timecode ruler in PTle. You can view the "incoming" converted MTC to spot with...or use a burn on the video track.

Also..there is no playback offset for movie adjustment in PTle.

In that regard...for such critical work..I would not use it for your application.

while the pullups and downs can be accomplished via the USD or SSD..nanosync..etc....you'll have to work around knowing where you are in the session without having a timestamped track. ..and using MTC..and no smpte ruler. They "may" be a way to use this..but Im just not sure as to the procedure.

Here's something you "can" try though. I've heard some tales that certain "disabled" functions in PTle..are "enabled" when the session goes from TDM to LE. In otherwords..if you open up a session on TDM..save it..with certain settings...and then open it on LE system...certain features magically appear. I dont' have any experience with this..so..You'll just have to experiment or wait for someone with more knowledge to comment on what does or does not get activated...and how to go about doing it.

I believe the smpte ruler can show up in PTle...and I think the movie offset might as well.

Again..Im not sure..as I haven't done this myself.

But I do know that the 001 can be locked and clocked thru the spdif port. and at that point..do pullups and downs.

Hope that helps.

dcornutt
Old 03-06-2002, 02:15 PM

thanks, dcornutt
I already do all of the above post functions in TDM. I have never used 001 or PTLE. The new Digi cheap IO box or the USBPre would be great ways to record to Pro Tools in the field on a laptop if the clock and TC situation could be addressed. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:34 PM

There is, yet another option. It's outdated, and it will take some searching, but the original Toolbox (pre-XP and "LE") shipped with installers + disks for:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Pro Tools d24
Pro Tools Audiomedia
Pro Tools Project
and
***Pro Tools DAE PowerMix[/list]
PowerMix runs off of normal Sound Manager I/O, so, you don't have to rely on Pro Tools hardware to use it, but it still has the TC Ruler. I don't know how it would to Sync to SMPTE though. I assume that you'd have to figure that out via OMS.

I have used DAE with a Quicktime file that had the TC burned in, but that was aeon's ago so I don't know much else to help you.

Another option is Bias Peak.

Version 3 may be shipping now, don't know for sure, but it will run on "X".

Good Luck