Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2021, 06:13 PM

Default Totally confused ....on renewal

Maybe I am just dense but I am completely confused on how to renew my "Your Software Updates + Support Plan"

I own a protools perpetual license purchased 9/27/16
My account under products says...Your Software Updates + Support Plan
expired on
Dec 21, 2021

How is possible it is expired if today is Dec 20 2021?

When I went to renew my software updates + support plan.
I chose...

Pro Tools
$199.00 1 year subscription , paid up front

And paid with PayPal

I then received a email stating

Pro Tools Subscriptions
-- Standard support
SKU: 0540-30439-11 $ 0.00 1 $ 0.00
-- 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront (Download)
SKU: 9511-66164-00 $ 199.00 1 $ 199.00

You will be billed $ 199.00 now.
Subtotal $ 199.00
Tax $ 0.00
--------------------------------------------
Total $ 199.00

Note this says nothing about Software updates..
I look at my products in my Avid account again and see a total of 5 boxes
top box says

Pro Tools Update & Support Plan Renewal
$199.00 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan RENEWAL with a down arrow

I read all boxes and then repeatedly tried to chose the top one and it would not turn blue. So I clicked on the one directly below it..

Renew protools subscription 1 year paid upfront

Now I am panicked thinking I mistakenly bought a new 1 year subscription to Pro tools instead of renewing my subscription for software upgrades and support plan.

I tried to call Advid customer service .. closed.
Tried the support chat.. got a link to open a support case.
Gave them my order # and said I believe I bought the wrong thing..Frustrated and upset I went to bed nothing else I can do.

Wake up to 2 Avid email one saying as a curtesy they are going to cancel my subscription and refund PayPal just this one time... the other stating case closed.

So what is the deal here?
Apparently I did chose the correct option even though it says nothing about soft ware upgrades .

So please explain to me the following..

Why does my order confirmation say nothing about Software upgrades?
How in the hell is it already expired on Dec 20 2021 when my plan does not expire till tomorrow on Dec 21 2021?
Why does not the correct box simply say renew my current software update & support plan for 1 more year? $199.00 paid up front in full?

What a damn confusing mess!
I still need to renew my plan.
It is not expired yet...it expires tomorrow.
But I am afraid to try and renew my plan when it says it is already expired and Advid says no refunds ...

What am I supposed to do and why can't I talk to human being who can answer my questions and make sure my UPDATE & SUPPORT plan is renewed on time and correctly?

Sincerely
Trainwreckmusic

PS Avid if you read this it is regard to
Subscription | Incorrect Product Purchase [Case : 04318066]
You have my phone number call me!

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 quad core 16Gb ram 256 SSD
OS Sierra 10.12.6 PT 2018.4 its mostly working for me!

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!

Last edited by Trainwreckmusic; 12-20-2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: clarity and spelling
Old 12-20-2021, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Totally confused ....on renewal

I do not understand why you burnt yourself here. You have a perpetual license and seem to understand subscriptions are an alternate option, but you then went ahead and purchased something clearly called a one year subscription, then surprise, you find you are buying a subscription, not a perpetual license or renewal.

MyProdcts stuff is often confusing/a mess. If you click on the Avid store pages to get to Pro Tools... it's all trying to sell you subscriptions... which you should know you don't want... and if you look carefully down the page it has text saying "Already own Pro Tools? Renew your 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan here." and you click on that link and end up here: https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/upgra...&store=#show-0

And you select the renewal option for *active support plan*... but do it soon.

There is something like a 30 day renewal expiration grace period so just buy this and stop worrying about stuff. Maybe next time if you are so lost, stop and ask before buying stuff that is screaming at you it's the wrong thing or call a sales rep at Vintage King or Sweetwater and purchase from them. And maybe don't leave this to a last day expiration panic, and even better just put the purchase on automatic renewal.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreckmusic View Post
...When I went to renew my software updates + support plan.
I chose...
Pro Tools
$199.00 1 year subscription , paid up front
That's the wrong product (you own a Perpetual license but doing this started a new Subscription). I see that the CS rep responded to your support case earlier today and refunded your Subscription purchase. A Software Updates + Support Plan (included with Perpetual licenses) can be renewed up to 30 days past expiration, and that is listed as the first option in the pop-up with your product in my.avid.com/products.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 7.54.55 PM.png (35.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-20-2021, 08:07 PM

You obviously are missing what took place here.
Yes I have a perpetual Pro tools license.
I also have every year since buying my perpetual license also purchased the subscription ( or annual plan what ever you want to call it) for Software updates so I can update to latest version of Protools if wish or need support.
I also have purchased the additional plug in bundle subscription (annual plan) every year. I have never let either plan (subscription) expire.

I did NOT use the Avid store I went into my avid account under my products and to renewed my plan /subscription that was set to expire in a few days.

With all due respect I am not a idiot. I understand the difference between the 3 different products I use and what I pay for .
But obviously you don’t know the difference between a perpetual Pro Tools license and the additional annual $199 fee I pay to avoid to keep my software current and receive support from Avid if I need it.
I also pay $50 every year for additional Avid plug ins.

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!
Old 12-20-2021, 08:18 PM

What you going on about? I read your post I know exactly what you did. You managed to purchased the wrong product here, a subscription and not a perpetual update/renewal. And you are here again still calling it a "subscription", Jesus get the terminology correct. You said you had problems with MyProducts so I gave you a quick work around of going to the store page. I am failing to follow what plugin subscription you have mean anything about your error here.... except I'll point out to you that those plugins are now included with your Pro Tools so you don't need a subscription to them anymore. But of course you knew that.

I gave you a link to the page to buy **exactly** what you need (but yes that loops you back to MyProducts... I thought it sometimes displays update options/refreshes stuff.. did you try it.). You should see what Jeffro shows in his screenshot.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-20-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:16 PM

Yep I now understand exactly what happened...And what I did wrong.

I guess I am getting old and so is my eye glass RX time to get new glasses.

I completely missed the small buy it now box to the side...
So I clicked on the big box thinking that is what to chose to renew, but instead it opened up upgrade and different subscription plans and had no option to renew what I needed.

I knew I didn't want to upgrade to ultimate or pay a monthly subscription

So I clicked on the only option I saw that was for Protools and was the same price and for same period of time.

Still not sure why my account says my plan expires on 12/21/21 but it is showing it is expired on 12/20/21.

As for no need to renew the plug in bundle because it is now included ...
Naturally that subscription was set to renew automatically and it already has...

No longer confused and thank you for your help.
I guess in the future I need to be careful and read then reread everything before I make the payment

Old 12-20-2021, 10:29 PM

Agree this UI/UX is provably a bit too "hip". More conventional looking UI elements would be better.

If you had a separate complete plugin subscription that just renewed I would file a support case with the Avid store to refund that, if Jeffro sees this he can probably help. Simmilar happened to me. It's an unfortunate transition hiccup, but overall I think including the plugin bundle with Pro Tools is a very good thing for users and Avid.

A total guess but if you had auto renewal turned on you might actually have been looking at *next years* expiry date on the website not the current license, and just missed the years were different.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-20-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:49 PM

Thanks Darryl
A per your suggestion I did open a support case with the Avid store.
Case Number : 04321263
I will post the outcome when this is resolved.
Cheers
TWM

Edit: Outcome the no longer needed duplicate Plugin Plan has been canceled and refund received.
Thanks folks!

Last edited by Trainwreckmusic; 12-23-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:48 PM

Glad to hear it was solved, thanks for updating the thread!
Old 12-29-2021, 05:55 PM

Yey. Thanks for the update. And I know I'm a bit cranky with folks about not being careful when they purchase upgrades--but from what can be a confusing set of. I loved that you pointed out the my products purchase UI can be confusing and I suspect that might be a factor in helping confuse others. I hope Avid folks can take a look at that.