Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-24-2020, 03:09 PM

Default HDX fan noise in MacPro 7,1

In a 2010 cheese-grater MacPro my HDX fans are on (and noisy) a lot.
The new MacPro 7,1 is apparently very quiet and well ventilated.

For anyone running HDX cards in a new MacPro:
Any chance that the card cage is cool enough so that the HDX fans do not need to turn on?

BTW, my HDX fans are on whenever the the ProTools app is running whether or not I'm doing much processing.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:11 PM

Default Re: HDX fan noise in MacPro 7,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulschwotzer View Post
In a 2010 cheese-grater MacPro my HDX fans are on (and noisy) a lot.
The new MacPro 7,1 is apparently very quiet and well ventilated.

For anyone running HDX cards in a new MacPro:
Any chance that the card cage is cool enough so that the HDX fans do not need to turn on?

BTW, my HDX fans are on whenever the the ProTools app is running whether or not I'm doing much processing.
Have you checked if your HDX card and 2010 Mac Pro aren’t clogged with dust? It makes a BIG difference to airflow.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:30 PM

The New Mac Pro has three big fans in the front that draws a ton of air and they are dead quiet.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Courtney View Post
The New Mac Pro has three big fans in the front that draws a ton of air and they are dead quiet.

Mine seems pretty quiet, although it's hard to tell with all the other noisy stuff in my rack (I'm looking at you, Avid I/O although my Ethernet switch is actually the noisiest).

Before moving my HDX card to the new machine, I took the cover off and gave it a good blow with some compressed air. (I have a theory that the thermals could be more efficient without the fan but I'm not about to try and find out by removing it and connecting a dummy load!)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:55 PM

When I had one HDX card...I noticed that the fans only came on when I was running Pro Tools...but I've added a second card and now at least one fan is ALWAYS running...

I am trying to find out how to fix this because it's absolutely silly!

I have a new rack MacPro and without the HDX cards you wouldn't notice it was at your feet. Granted with music playing you don't hear it but as soon as you pause you can hear the whir of them.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:53 PM

Try firmware upgrade for each card. Had the same issue with one of my cards at new install. All silent now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Try firmware upgrade for each card. Had the same issue with one of my cards at new install. All silent now.

I have a 2020 MacPro and HDX2 in it

when i first boot the Mac with HDX-2 is very quiet.... after maybe 30 mins running the HDX fans kick on, but on low....

i suggest some sound baffles, and also some distance from you. This helps a bit.

and yes, for sure the firmware update to the HDX cards.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post

Am I missing something with updating the firmware or does Running Pro Tools not trigger the latest update? I have the latest HD Driver installed with the latest Pro Tools.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:37 PM

Card firmware, not driver.
After a fresh restart. Run Digitest (In Utilities)
There you can see the version numbers (Avid Hardware) for a variety of components.
And can upgrade if needed.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonantRhythm View Post
Am I missing something with updating the firmware or does Running Pro Tools not trigger the latest update? I have the latest HD Driver installed with the latest Pro Tools.

Yes when I first booted with 3 cards all were in high fan mode. Did the digi test and it picked out only one card that needed the firmware update. It scans all cards and will notify you 1/2 or 2/2 etc. The program comes up and updates everything. Then when completed, the fans cut off. I did have issues with the driver, when I called Avid I was transferred to some idiot that was in a foreign country arguing with his wife and looking on his computer to find data and the correct answer I was looking for. I hung up on him and searched all the forums to find the firmware answer. Good luck, it should solve your problems.