Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-06-2022, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Looping PT+Atmos Suite into consumer Home Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh108 View Post
Oh and to answer your other question, yes I’m using powered speakers. That’s what led me to the pre pro option in the first place. The main point of confusion for me was understanding what kind of signal I’d be able to send from the computer, and what sort of connection would be able to support it.

And secondarily, if pro tools was gonna react weird to anything, specifically what sort of playback engine I’d end up needing to use. But using audio bridge has assuaged some of those concerns.

But in terms of hdmi, are you sure your info is up to date?

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/hdmi-2.1“Thanks to the vastly increased bandwidth of HDMI 2.1, eARC can handle 32 channels of uncompressed audio…”

The device is earc capable…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eARC. or Extended Audio Return Channel is for getting sound from your TV, Apple TV 4k, or other streaming device into you AV processor. Which then processes the signal to send out to your speakers.

There are no Macs that I know of that support eArc with individually assignable channels.

I suppose you could try hooking up the PreAmp to your computer via HDMI and go into the Audio Midi Setup to see how many channels it will provide but you'd also have to see if that could be used as viable output for Dolby Renderer.

I you're trying to stick to using HDMI as your input source, I suspect you're going to need some type of audio embedder to convert the Dante to HDMI. But don't know of any such device that will handle multichannel audio.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
eARC. or Extended Audio Return Channel is for getting sound from your TV, Apple TV 4k, or other streaming device into you AV processor. Which then processes the signal to send out to your speakers.

There are no Macs that I know of that support eArc with individually assignable channels.

I suppose you could try hooking up the PreAmp to your computer via HDMI and go into the Audio Midi Setup to see how many channels it will provide but you'd also have to see if that could be used as viable output for Dolby Renderer.

I you're trying to stick to using HDMI as your input source, I suspect you're going to need some type of audio embedder to convert the Dante to HDMI. But don't know of any such device that will handle multichannel audio.

Cool. Don’t really care how I send the signal. Just hoping to be able to figure out a way to do it. Im going to go ahead and get DAPS and do some experiments and also see if I can get some more clarity about the usb input. Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Cool. Don’t really care how I send the signal. Just hoping to be able to figure out a way to do it. Im going to go ahead and get DAPS and do some experiments and also see if I can get some more clarity about the usb input. Thanks again.

The USB port is most likely for connecting a media loaded hard drive for playback by the AV unit. Not to be used as interface connectivity for multichannel pass through
Old 01-07-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The USB port is most likely for connecting a media loaded hard drive for playback by the AV unit. Not to be used as interface connectivity for multichannel pass through

Yeah that does seem to be the way those ports work on many units.

Though the port is labeled “USB (For PC)”. The only thing the manual said was “For Playing PC Audio” which may just be unclear translation.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Actually, looking closer, there is a separate usb connection on the front that I learned from a user review is what is used for playing media from a disk…which gives me a little hope for the other “pc audio” connection on the back. I’ve reached out to the distributor and the reviewer to try and get some clarity.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Actually, looking closer, there is a separate usb connection on the front that I learned from a user review is what is used for playing media from a disk…which gives me a little hope for the other “pc audio” connection on the back. I’ve reached out to the distributor and the reviewer to try and get some clarity.

I'm willing to take a guess that it's for any firmware updates to the device.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that even if it's a class compliant USB audio device that it's stereo only.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:15 AM

Quote:

Maybe. But like I mentioned above, the (only thing) the manual says about the port is it’s “for playing pc audio”. Though I concede stereo is likely. It’s crazy to me that someone hasn’t just made a solution for this use case. Every single dot is sitting right there, you’d think someone would just go ahead and connect them.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm View Post
I'd be willing to bet that even if it's a class compliant USB audio device that it's stereo only.

Agreed likely.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:05 AM

Hey...

As has been said before...you're making this WAY too complicated.

The ONLY REASON you involve a receiver is to DECODE a [Dolby] Atmos signal.

When you're mixing...there is NEVER an [Dolby] ENCODED signal. Period.

The ONLY times you're going to encounter an ENCODED signal is:
1. Playing an MP4 export from DAPS
2. Playing STREAMED Atmos content through a service [Netflix/AppleTV]
2a. Current an Apple TV device is the 'easiest' to stream an Atmos signal into your receiver.

These are 2 separate flows....if you have an audio interface with enough inputs and a receiver that outputs line-level audio you could feed your audio interface with the output of the receiver allowing you to monitor a consumer decode of content (whether that's Netflix or your own mp4).